83 Jetta Mk.1

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by gareth_evo5, Aug 14, 2013.

1. gareth_evo5 New Member

Hi All,

First I'll introduce myself, I was a member of club GTi back 20 odd years ago when I had a 16V Mk2 Jetta, loads of mods etc, but moved on to a 944turbo, rolled that and got a Mitsubishi Evo5 and that's been the project ever since. Anyway, that's not the point.

Back 20 something years ago my father bought a Mk.1 Jetta C as a run about. After a while the bigends started rumbling and the days where numbered for it. BUT, a friend had an accident in his 85 Scirocco Storm, which had quite a few mods. Rear end bump and the car was written off. We bought the car off the insurance company and moved all the mechanical bits from the storm into the Jetta.

Some of the mods included an over bored engine to 1.9L, Koni adjustables allround, disks allround, 16v throttle body, tubular exhaust manifold plus other bits.

Car was base blue, we had a custom exhaust system made so it had a single pipe out the back, running 14inch steels, aim was a real sleeper, and that it was. Changed seats and some other bits and I used the car for a couple of years, it then went around the family as a utility car. Eventually it was parked up for a time outside my sisters house, not being used. At this point I had the accident in the Porsche and wanted another project, so my father got an MOT on the Jetta and drove it up to me (in this time I'd moved from Cardiff to Cambridge).

Car was fine, my intention was to make a track project and have some fun. One thing after another the Evo turned up at a good price so that became the project, had it 4 weeks cambelt snapped, so major changes/mods. This has since become the main project, and big project at that.

The unfortunate Jetta has then sat on my drive under tarp. for 4-5 years, every so often I remove tarp, start car and get upto temp, renew tarp if necessary and put it away again.

This is a waste of a good car, I've recently brought it out of it's slumber and given it a clean and I've started finishing a few of the jobs on it.

But, at the start of the year we had a new arrival to the family and time has since disappeared, the Evo is off the road and the Jetta needs to move onto someone who is going to do something with it.

Being out of the VW scene for so long I have no idea how to value the car, we have loads of spares for the car, full set of poly bushes still in the packets, new injector pipes, loads of other stuff.

From what I can remember what it needs is bigger front brakes, currently has the storms 239mm brakes, the rear passenger door has a little rust under the quarter light, the front screen has some rust around the edge. that's all I can see at the moment, underneath looks good, but need to get under it and get a better look.

Can anyone help with estimated value on the assumption the car is good and solid?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers,
    Gareth.

2. Admin Guest

Hi and welcome to the forum.

3. Megaross Forum Member

A few pictures of condition and full spec might help.