'88 Golf GTI and '95 Corrado VR6

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by MJA, Jul 8, 2020.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi All,
    Welcome to my project thread! I recently purchased this 1 family owner from new - Dad for 6 months and Son for the last 30 odd years. The owner was sad to see it go and had it laid up for the last 5 years in his barn and it is now at the stage where it needs TLC and its first ever bits of welding.

I spoke to the owner for hours and discussed the car warts and all and knew what I was buying. He sorted me out lots of pictures and was an all round honest chap. As a silver lining the proceeds from the sale went to a charity he supported. I'm happy to confirm now it has been delivered it is as I expected - a car that has mechanically been looked after but wants TLC. It is well used and loved but now needs welding, paint and a tidy up. The owner self confessed cleaning was not his forte.

Job list - hole in the sill area, probably front jack points, wings, boot lid, front and rear valances, scuttle. I suspect there is rust under the GTI trims. A full repaint will be done once the metal is all solid again.

This is my second project, following my Corrado VR6 which wasn't has bad to start with but has had lots of work done at Stealth Racing and a full repaint. My Recaro seat fund for that car has gone to purchase this Golf but who needs Recaros anyway right?!

This thread will be mostly be about the mk2 but with bits dropped in on the Corrado too!

Some Pictures of the car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For some reason the radio was wired up loosely installed where the glovebox was supposed to be ...
    [​IMG]

And a couple of the Corrado
    Before respray but looks nice in pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Respray (in progress right now)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. MJA

And now for the good and bad bits

Considering the car was caked in dry mud - I litreally pulled out fit fulls from the fuel filler area - it hasn't held up too badly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But there is a hole to weld in the arch so not all good

[​IMG]

After washing all the mud off the floor plan is pretty good

[​IMG]

But the both jacking points need replacing and there is a hole on the drivers side

[​IMG]

It also needs a new rear valance and scuttle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NateS2 likes this.
  3. MJA

I'm in the process of moving house so progress will start slow on the mk2 but the plan will be to strip the car down to the shell, weld up and replace panels and then send it off for paint.

Parts wise my list is growing -

jacking points
    hole on sill
    two new wings
    front and rear valance
    new bootlid
    possible rear arches if rusted under the trims (probably)
    sills (probably)
    scuttle

Interior
    Drivers seat needs love
    Glove box
    Headliner

Wheels
    Refurb and also try and source some BBS Mahles

Engine
    Seems strong and full service history. Probs just service it, clean it up and new cambelt and coolant pipes. Will look to keep the 8v and go for a 268 cam, subtle exhaust

Running gear
    Just Billy B4s, eibach and a full refresh of bushes

4. MJA

Oh and also have this as a daily - mk4 GT TDi.

I do have the cap behind the rear door handle - the door lock is broken so am getting around to replacing it.

[​IMG]

Refreshed the running gear with B4s and H&Rs (most bits came in the boot of the car when I bought it) and replaced all of the bushes up front. Also got fed up with the leaky stock boost pipes so popped a Darkside SMIC and hard pipe kit on

[​IMG]

Plan to remap to stage 1 to make use and leave it there.

erreesse and NateS2 like this.
  5. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Some nice cars there, My MK2 had the exact same rust hole on the rear turret, but it had gone behind the fuel filler too

MJA likes this.
  6. MJA

Thanks Nate. These cars have been a long time coming - I've loved cars since I was a kid and I'm now 37, but buying houses and having a family got in the way and about 4 years ago I was able to buy the Corrado and now the Mk2 - my dream garage.

7. Malibu_convertible New Member

Really nice mk2!

MJA likes this.
  8. MJA

Thanks! Moving small steps to being able to work on this - sold my house this week and we're looking for something with the space I need to work on cars.

Question to all- those teardrop alloys on my car are heavily corroded - pitted like the moon all over. Do we think it's possible to get them refurbed?