88 GTI 8v first start after 10 years any advice welcome

Discussion in '8-valve' started by GTIBOB, Jul 14, 2020.

1. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Mahle Behr...made in PRC. Is this what it's all coming to? So sad.

2. GTIBOB

GTIBOB Paid Member Paid Member

Any advice or suggestions welcome……..

I finally bit the bullet and tackled the heater matrix replacement.
    Without doubt the toughest task I’ve done. I took all the advice on here and managed to tear down and remove heater box (renewed foam on flaps) and rebuilt today. I plan to remove the recall valve as it was blocked solid.

this is all the good bit …..to my total disappointment at the end of eight hours struggle the car now won’t start. Has always started first turn …..even today when driving out of garage to do matrix.
    The only thing I did reluctantly was to unbolt and move coil out of the way to get at matrix pipe clips. Was careful not to remove any plugs from it. Noticed a little earth strap running from rocker cover to one of the coils securing bolts.
    First start attempt was with coil detached (but still connected)and earth strap detached…..so logically I thought I’ll need to re secure the coil and attach the earth strap to it. No joy. Fuel pumps priming and good battery……turning over strongly but not a kick?????
    Extremely disappointing to say the least.
    Didn’t disturb anything else that might be spark related….
    Can anyone please suggest a checklist I could try……..much appreciated
    R
    Will post pic of the matrix tomorrow….big crack on plastic inpipe but never any sign of wet carpet. If ever there was a job needed done it was this. Presumably the recall valve prevented this.

can anyone please advise as to what I might’ve disturbed that is now causing the car not to start.
    Most annoying…….
    Any advice most appreciated
    R

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Well that's a pain in the balls after all that work with the matrix to say the least.

I'd bet good money that you are getting fuel but no spark and the only thing you moved was the coil and or the H.T. lead(s) - I would check the main H.T. lead and if needs be try a new one - I'd be very surprised if it was the coil, those things tend to last.

This is the one thing I hate about old cars - with the best of intentions you do decent and necessary work and then car decides it wants to become a massive paper weight because you moved something (carefully) and it wants have a sulk about it.

That's the stuff that drives me nuts.

I'm sorry that this happened and I completely understand how you're feeling - 99.9% of the time it's something dislodged/disconnected/damaged/broken in the area where you were working.

4. GTIBOB

Cheers Costel
    Absolutely hit the nail on the head there…the sheer disappointment as you say after hours of contortions and skinned knuckles to be presented with an unexpected issue like not starting.
    I am however pleased with myself for having actually replaced the matrix it was badly cracked on one of the plastic pipes at top I’ll post a pic tomorrow….pretty bad to be fair.

what a job it was….but it’s done now. Just ordered a pair of clean new matrix hoses as can’t be bothered looking for 15mm copper pipe. I hate those spring clips with a passion… took maybe 2 hrs just to move stuff and wrestle them off. Probably Use jubilee clips to fit new hoses.
    The blower works really well as I re foamed the blender doors. Used some leftover thin foam I had after laying a click floor.Just the right thickness and stuck beautifully with spray glue.
    I presume I’ll have good heat from now on if I can get the thing to start again.
    A big paperweight at the moment as you say I couldn’t even put it away in the garage. Hopefully I’ll discover what I’ve disturbed that’s causing the no start.
    Your comment about old cars made me laugh out loud…….soooo true.
    But as I walked away tonight thinking I’d wasted a day of my life I looked back and it was worthwhile so tomorrow I just ‘have’ to get it to start somehow

can a coil just die?
    It was running perfectly this morning
    Surely dizzy leads and plugs must still be fine?
    Pulling my hair out here!!!
    R

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  5. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Double check the rocker cover to coil earth strap is making a good connection at the bulkhead end after it having been disconnected.

A poor earth could be as simple as the sequence of nut / bolt / washer / clamp being inadvertently changed when re installing or if not that maybe scrape clean the bulk head metal of paint / corrosion if present.

Hopefully not, but I believe the ECU can be damaged if the earths it needs aren't good or present.

Someone better qualified than me will be better answering that.

You say you first attempted starting with that rocker cover to coil earth cable not grounded to it's usual place on the bulkhead?

Is the fuel pump just priming as normal or is it continually running instead?

Are the injectors continually running / flooding the cylinders?

The spring clamps are a pain, but there's special pliers to help open / close them, even long reach versions with a cable set up to get at the awkward ones.

Jubilee clips don't expand / contract and on pipes that get hot / cold regularly they can bite down into the rubber. Repeated over time it can eventually result a poor seal.

6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I would start with checking spark at the spark plug, whip one out and see. Then you’ll know if it is your coil.

7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Well that’s my new thing learned today, I didn’t know that’s why spring clips are used :thumbup:

8. GTIBOB

Thanks for all the above advice
    On reconnecting the battery just now the familiar ecu click is not present?? It’s always made a clicking sound on battery reconnecting.
    Is this a sign I’ve damaged the ecu by trying to start car without the bulkhead to rocker cover earth strap bolted on??
    Is there perhaps a fuse which could have blown
    Really struggling to remain positive
    Any advice very welcome
    R

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

rocker cover to coil strap is just for extra radio interferance suppression, I've run mine without for years. if it actually makes any kind of difference to running/starting, this means your gearbox earth to battery is poor, and if that is poor on a digifant ECU car then you will pop the ECU. plus on CE2 cars with MFA cluster you'll also pop a circuit track on your blue foil as well, though it doesnt seem to cause any actual issues

10. rubjonny

if ecu is blown usually you'll end up with fuel pump running constant on ignition and injectors stuck wide open, but not always

11. GTIBOB

Hi John
    The fuel pump primes as usual not constant. I’m putting a new bulkhead to rocker cover earth on as a first step.
    Can’t see anything disconnected??
    Is there a fuse for ignition
    Thanks
    R

12. rubjonny

ok sounds like the ecu isn't blown so potentially good news there. for the CE1 digifant you have fuse 5 for the pump which is ok as that works, and 17 for the ECU relay which also seems OK as the pump primes with ignition

next step as above see if you get spark, does the rev counter jiggle and fuel pump run while cranking?

13. GTIBOB

Hi John
    Just checked there and the fuel pump primes as usual. Difficult to hear if pump is running while cranking due to noise of starter.
    Yes the rev counter lifts a little when ignition turned off.
    On my own here at moment so hard to check for spark and crank over.
    I think I smell petrol after cranking so perhaps not a fuel issue..
    Perhaps it’s a relief that the ecu may be ok
    Thanks for taking time to reply
    R

14. GTIBOB

Pulled a plug out but don’t see a spark on cranking… should I see a spark at end of plug where it’s positioned in contact with the engine
    As in pic

Attached Files:

15. GTIBOB

5E765CFA-2F9B-4DA9-AD98-5057478EE077.jpeg Few pics
    New earth strap to bulkhead
    Pic of ecu
    Pic of coil ( one connector without a wire see arrow but can’t find any stray wires pulled out

Attached Files:

16. rubjonny

need to look closer at your coil wiring. you should only have 2 black wires to it, no brown. brown is usually earth, but if it was you would have melted wires right about now lol

I suspect some trickery here for alarm installation, I see what looks to be the original black wire which should be to the coil to the left, plugged into something else. chase that and the brown and you'll probably find the source of your issues :)

GTIBOB likes this.
  17. costel1969

If this problem wasn't Robert in Northern Ireland, I can absolutely guarantee it would be Robert in Canada/Southern Ireland - this is the kind of melting I get on a regular basis from older cars.

18. GTIBOB

John you are correct about the alarm. There was an alarm fitted but I disconnected it back in the early nineties and never gave it another thought as car drove fine until now.
    The alarm circuit box is still below the heater box as I discovered yesterday. I didn’t want to disturb anything so just left it alone. I do think it’s still connected to the + of the coil as you’ve noticed. I’ll post a close up of the coil connections for your advice on what should or shouldn’t be connected .
    By the way I’m getting 12v on pins 1 and 3 of hall sender connector

Attached Files:

19. GTIBOB

So I’ve pulled the brown connector away from black and plugged black to+ of coil. Haven’t tried a start??????
    Safe to go for it??
    R

Attached Files:

20. costel1969