'89 Golf 1.3 Gearbox codes

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by tapehead_01, May 19, 2018.

1. tapehead_01 New Member

So it seems my gearbox is on the way out (sounds like there's a few bits of metal bouncing around inside it making a horrible rattling noise). It's an 084, though the only code I could find on it was for the end cap (084 301 211e). The car has the engine code 2G.

Any ideas what box I could replace this with, or what gearbox code I should be looking for? (going with another 4-speed because I don't really want to faff with the mounts for an 085).

Would this: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/getriebe-104c18.html fit by any chance? I haven't yet found any refurbished used ones and I'm not sure it's worth buying an non-refurbished one if the history is unknown - don't fancy having to replace it again after another 10k.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Right for a 4 speed 1.3 you would have code AKW, 1.0 box code AKW would also fit but not sure on ratio suitability though. Other donors would include mk2 and mkf/g40 shape polo. for 5 speed later polo and mk3 1.4-1.6 will do you, 5 speed mk2 1.3 box is code 8N

for a 5 speed swap all you need is a gearbox mount 191199358D from a mk2/3 golf 1.0-1.4, plus SEAT of same era. Probably a couple 1.6 codes you could get one from as well. Everythign else will bolt straight up, but if you can grab the end of the linkage from the donor this will fit the 5 speed selector on the gearbox, otherwise just swap the 4 speed one over.