8v been standing for a while

Discussion in '8-valve' started by parekh, Jul 6, 2022.

1. parekh New Member

Hi

I have a 1990 8v 170K miles. No modifications
    It has been standing for 5 years in my garage. During this I every month or so I start it up and run it until the temperature is up to normal.

I am now in a position to get it on the road as I have better access to it. It needs bit of welding and thats all that is stopping the MOT. But I think i should be replacing a few more things just to be safe as it has been standing for so long.

I have been reading other posts and I think I will get the following done on the engine at least (other things I wont mention here as it would be off topic like brakes etc):

Oil and Filter
    Plugs
    Timimg belt
    Coolant

Just need a bit of advise on the following:
    1. Recommendation on grade of oil. Should I use oil flush? I will do the oil change and plugs so will ensure I use the correct oil and get a Mann Filter (which I was using back when the car was being used) but not sure about the plugs. Unless there is a better option i used to use the 2 german car parts suppliers that are nationwide....
    2. Regarding the timing belt. Does it matter where I get parts from or brands etc.. Asking as the garage may do the belt and I cant be sure where they will source the parts from. But I may be able to supply.

There will be other things as well but I think I will start here so I can get it up and running

Many thanks for all help. Ill be trying to do as much as I can so may need to ask again for assistance.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Just Change the oil every couple of thousand km to start with.

Re the Belt, you can't go wrong with a Gates one.

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

You don't state the type of garage, nor whether you mover it periodically..Assume your garage isn't a temperature controlled bubble?
    Perhaps change the brake fluid (it absorbs moisture) and check the rear calipers/handbrake operation ?

Also check the tyres for cracks/potential flat spots and the date of them. Recommendation is to change them every 6 years.

edited typos corrected.....don't you hate typing on your phone..my sausage-fingers!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Tristan likes this.
  4. parekh New Member

hi

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in getting back.
    The car was stored in a basic lockup garage - nothing special - just to keep it out of the rain.
    I MOT it with a local independent VW garage yearly. Nothing more was done in the 4 years - but it has had 2 bits of welding - just from being stored. Now its on my driveway as there is a bit more space for it.

I really would lie the best oil type to use - if anyone can help. I have read in other posts that the Haynes recommendation (What I used to use) is not the best now...

I will get the brake fluid changed as well the garage will do that along with the belt....

Many thanks

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

10w40 semi-synth. can use anything really sao long as its reasonable quality these engines dont really care. but I use quantum synta or fuchs titan

6. parekh New Member

Hi rubjonny

Many thanks for the reply. Ill be changing the oil and filter first thing, then ill get the welding done, then it can be moved for MOT and other work.