8v crossflow head

Discussion in '8-valve' started by moorin, Jun 30, 2008.

1. moorin Forum Member

will the 8v new beetle head fit onto the 2.0 8v mk3 golf engine because i need a crossflow head for some itbs?

2. gillm

gillm ***** User

yep as far as i know as a mate did it on his mk2

3. moorin Forum Member

so is it a straight swap? is the cam facing the same way for the original cambelt? and also are all the oilways and waterways in the right position? will a performance cam for the original golf head fit into the beetle head?

thanks

4. G60RCaol Forum Member

yes, yes and yes 99% sure! 8)

5. moorin Forum Member

thanks alot also if i cant find a beetle head is there any other engines like in audis and seats with the crossflow 8v 2.0 engine?

thanks again finally getting somewhere with the engine build i want to do :)

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

do a search on here, vr6will built a high spec x flow, but ended up ditching it for a VR.

i looked into, and altho fitting TB's is easier, the gain over the non x flow have never really been proven

7. leon New Member

I have a Xflow on my 8v turbo. you can use all the same normal 8v stuff excpet the coolant pipes. You will need to reroute them as they are on the side of the Xflow head rather than the front like a counterflow 8v. I got the head sent from the states, I picked up an ABA head which is the US spec mk3 8v head, very common over there and someone on Vortex might post it to you. I got it sent by the slow post which took a few weeks but wasnt too bad price wise. The only issue with oil ways etc is one at the front of the head, it it a return to the sump and a G60 gasket will cover it as it doesnt match the block, the 8v block in round shaped return, the ABA head is oval as far as I remember. I have never had any issues with it nor had anyone else while I was looking it up.

8. moorin Forum Member

thanks for the advice, i am going to be building up an 8v engine while still using my car then transplant it so what would be the best 8v engine to start with as im sure i have an agg at the minute. so a aba head is crossflowed or is it just the us spec aba head? so im guessing itb's for a counterflow head will fit the crossflow aswell then?

thanks again

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  9. moorin Forum Member

also what cams will fit the crossflow head? will normal 2.0 8v cams fit?

10. matt d Forum Member

Surely a 16v engine is the best way to go. I understand people want to try something new but you still have the same limits with an 8v whether on itb's, standard fueling and ignition or crossflow or standard heads.
    Anyone have any figures for the crosshead/ITB conversion?

11. moorin Forum Member

well i would want to put a 16v in but do you have to change the wiring loom or fuelling? will it fit onto the 8v gearbox? i just thought i would tune an 8v because it would be easier to fit bu if the 16v doesn't need mush work i will do that.

12. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

fitting ITB's will be an significant amount of work which ever engine you use, building a x flow 8v will complicate things more. you need to decide on what engine your going to build 1st.

you can get x flow heads in this country so dont go importing heads, i think you need to do a search on VR6will x flow. but dont think it will be easy which ever route you choose, the stand alone management needed to control fuelling, will add cost and complicaion to your build.

13. Admin Guest

whats your end power goal?

that really sorts you out for what engine to go for, to mod an 8v for any great deal of power is a waste of time, you'd be better off starting with a 16v, as it has more power as std and going from there.

my old mk1 had a 2l bottom end and a cam, made 140bhp, got those bits cheap, but thats about as far as you will get with that set up, maybe a few more ponies with some head work but thats for little gain.

std 16v set up at stealth make 160bhp ( roughly) and 16v engines/parts are plentiful as is the knowledge to tune them up

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
  14. moorin Forum Member

i would love a 16v but i thought there wouldn't be much work to do a 8v becuase it would simply slot straight in where the old engine came out like over a weekend, this car is my daily and i cant afford a second car while putting a new engine into it so i thought an 8v rebuilt engine would of taken a weekend to put in then am done before monday ready for work. so would it take just aslong to put a 16v in then an 8v? i want as much power as possible but i only want an n/a engine.

15. Admin Guest

16v all the way then,

get yourself everything you need, start it on a friday night, allows you plenty of time to get stuff in and out and ask questions:lol: [:$] as you go along.

16. moorin Forum Member

ok then it does make sense, so if i get an abf engine do i need a new loom and fuelling? what about the gearbox which one do i need? if i was to rebuild the engine would it be necessary for performance pistons and rods and crank or could i do a standard rebuild but put a big valve head and some lairy cams in? and then fit the itbs and a remap? this will take a while but i cant buy things if i don't know what to get, i know the basics but just need the little details. this is for a mk3 golf gti by the way.

thanks again

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

REMAP??? What fueling is the car using? unless it on an ecu capable of running on ITB's you will need a full ecu setup and wiring loom.

18. leon New Member

You wont slot in a Xflow 8v on ITB over a weekend and drive to work on monday morning!!
    You are doing the right thing for power ultimately putting the 16v in. Just on the point above, the reason I imported my head from the states is because I got it a hell of a lot cheaper than whats asked for them here.

19. moorin Forum Member

i was going to buy the dblias or badger5 or omex slot on itb kit for the 16v because they comes with nearly everything and uses alot of the stanrdard wiring and also all the sensors and it comes with a starting map so then il just get it remapped, but they are really expensive so hwat is the best way to put itbs on, i hear bike itbs and megasquirt but what do i need for megasquirt and is it hard to set up? wire in? im going to be building up the engine gradually while i use my car and then slot it in but if it takes longer then i think i need a banger to run about in. a little list of things would be extremely useful like which 16v engine baring in mind its going into a mk3 and also what cams and stuff.

thanks again

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  20. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

off thetop of my head

ITB's of whatever sort, bike, jenvey or dbilas etc inc filters, trumpets, Injectors and TPS
    the engine, which ever you decide upon.
    a manifold to suit the above items
    if its 16v the new ex manifold & down pipe, clutch etc
    New Ecu inc loom any additional sensors, IAT etc

if you want it done quickly get someone like bill the badger to do it for you.