8v - inconsistent revs/ cut out

Discussion in '8-valve' started by copeidge, Jul 15, 2019.

1. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

hi guys hoping someone can shed some light. After 5 months sitting in the garage I got the mk2 finished and out for a test drive tonight.

Everything normal - pull over to grab a picture the car is sat idling fine, then out of the blue cuts out.

Restarts after 20 seconds or so.

When driving along the rev gauge fluctuated when on constant throttle, so i put the mfa in secret mode to view the digital rev gauge. The revs were up and down by around 50-200 revs. Then coming home i gave it some beans and at the top of 3rd you could feel some stuttering/hesitation.

My first thought is blue temp sensor?
    All vac lines are good
    Earths are good

Anyone experienced similar?

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like your distributor/hall sender is playing up mate.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

spark module would be worth a look as well, but before you spend any money check the wiring loom over carefully look for split wirign or loose pins. start at the distributor and coil, pull the boots off the connectors for a look underneath :)

4. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thank you chaps! GVK I did has thoughts about the hall sender as it seemed to fire up again after fiddling with the wiring.

I'd found a second hand dizzy for £30... but wasnt too keen.

GSF had a genuine Bosch one for £430.. butttt they had a 60% off and a £54 surcharge on the old one. So I went for it, cost me around £120 for a genuine brand new bosch one. and it solved it! back up to sweet running.

thanks for the help guys :)

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Cool.