8v trackday car - what engine?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mr.brown, Aug 12, 2006.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

I'm going against the grain at the moment with my gearbox as it's a 4+E (with quaife atb) but it suits the engine & me for now.......when i get on the bigger tracks i might look into getting martin (hotgolf) to fiddle with the gears if i am not happy but it seemed fine at llandow which is a small circuit which is where i thought it would have caused problems.

2. leontdi Forum Member

what can be done cam wise to an 8v ? as surely if you go too mental on duration it will destroy the talk delivery this is my favourite part of owning an 8valve .

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

It all depends on what it's used for and if it's to be run on the standard injection or carb or and open type induction, twin carbs or throttle bodies.

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

What? It will stop you from speaking?

[:$] sorry couldn;t resist.....

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

6. POL

pol Forum Member

7. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

8. leontdi Forum Member

no i meant torque hah hah the engine kind , obviously very tired last night . so lost ability to spell . no more sunday night drinking for me ever again .

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

:lol: .... how's yours coming on, got that engine in yet ?

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thanks... yeah it is, you like...[:D]

There's a fair bit more on here if it helps at all... www.team-jmr.com

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thats what i used to shhay... sorry.. say !

The answer to your question though is... torque delivery can still be very good even with a fairly radical cam, mine's 318 degree's duration and the throttle response is, shall we say... sharp ! Even from 2k, using anything up to 3/4 throttle you'll get a very nice "tug" if you jab the loud pedal. Above 3 1/2k it'll take full throttle and after 3,700 all hell break's loose. If it was on t/b's and management instead of a pair of D.C.O.E's and a distributor it would be even better.

Big cams (300 degree +) and standard injection.. well thats a different story.

12. POL

pol Forum Member

fingers crossed it's in this weekend to measure up some bits. front mount needs aligned, exhaust manifold clearance needs checked, tb to firwall clearance needs checked. still unsure on whether or not to run an airbox or not. need to see if it's possible to get one in the space available or whether it's cut the bulkhead time.

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Exellent.

I was talking to a very good friend of mine the other day who has had air boxes made up for his competition Vauxhall 16v engines. I'm sure from memory he said that they're only worth a small handfull of hp on the engine dyno but out on the road the difference feels MUCH more (no doubt due to the speed of the air entering them). I'll ask him again when i see him in a couple of weeks.

I was thinking of making one for mine, but it would probably be aluminium for simplicity sake.

14. hc-animal Forum Member

biggest benefit of an airbox in the car is the cold air and on a dyno engine is out in the open so doesnt matter as much.

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006