8v vrs 16v

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ripskin, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Turbo'd?? Hell no! Good old fashioned carbs and a bit of welly!:lol:

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Use exsisting 8v unit and gearbox. Will be fine and keeps thge cost down. I am soon the get pictures to the How to ABF... thread of the digi conversion.

3. ripskin Forum Member

Goodo! raw power from carbs always wins over. you must be some sort of tuning wizard, oil surge problems over 200bhp?? do you track it?
    somebody on here is selling a 2l abf from a late mk3 gti, thats the type of thing im after, its all on subframes (no brakes) wants 600, presumed 60k milage. is that a good price? or should i hunt the breakers?

4. Toyotec

Comes with Keys and ECU etc?

5. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

8v or 16v, both are amazing compared to my Mk4 VW Polo 1.0 litre that I owned before! I happen to own a 16v and love it to bits.

6. Spacemonkey Forum Member

Never drove a 8v, so i cant comment on them. But i love my 16v and cant think of any other car to own. I also once had a mk3 16v and that is good too, but i had the back end out a few times when i have lifted off the throttle at the wrong time.

7. ripskin Forum Member

Not sure if keys and ecu are present, will find out, when will you be posting the guide fro digi conversion toyotec??:)

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Kjet is fairly old fashioned, but very effective if it's set up properly, and still pretty good for fuel economy, so very feasible for a daily driver, especially with a 2.0 16v, as they're very easy to drive.

I've got a mildly modified 2.0 16v in a Mk2, which was standard till recently - I'm in Windsor, so give me a shout if you want a demo - It'll eat a standard 944, as they're much heavier. My mate's 944 doesn't compare in a straight line.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  9. Mike_H Forum Addict

The box will be ok, depending on how good it was to start with - could do with a stronger clutch pressure plate (sachs power 16v versio, or a stock 16v version)

10. E700 Forum Member

which is better on a motorway, do they both rev about the same at say 80mph?

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Depedent on the box again.

12. Toyotec

8v gearbox, 9A, ACD or AUG allows it to tick over in 5th slower than the AGB, 2Y 16v unit and in doing so allows for the 8vs lack of high torque in the post 4000rpm ranges. 8v valve ratio @5th is .89 vs the 16v .91. Some later 8v gearboxs (AUG) also have a taller 2nd gear @1.94 vs 2.12 to help it come close to achieving 60mph near its 6700 cut out.

13. wcrado Forum Member

Having owned 4 16v's, and now on my first digi 8v, i prefer the 8v. BUT its all dependant on your driving style. As toyotec pointed out earlier on, the sharp torque curve on the 8v makes it feel very nippy. So for someone like me, who just wants a nice, quick car to chuck around town, the 8v is perfect.

I did love my valvers, but they really do need to be ragged to get the best from them. They have enough torque to do the job upto 4k (except in my previous 'rado's, where they wouldn't move under 4k) but they don't really feel quick until you get to 4-4.5k ish, whereas the 8v feels quick all the way through.

A 2.0 bottom end solves this problem, and is a conversion i WILL do at some point in the future. Currently my 2.0 8v conversion is a dream to drive around town, bags of torque, and is damn good out on the motorways as well.

In fifth, it's a little beast between 80mph and 110mph. Really hits it's torque peak there and just flies. Got a Renaultsport Clio 172 sat outside that i had to drive the other day, and no way is that as quick between 80 and 110. Ok so it's much more eager before that, so it may actually be the way the gearing is set up, but i've driven it loads now, and the golf feels way better out on the good old A30.

14. E700 Forum Member

i spend most of my time now on the motorway, so does 8v rev lower at say 80mph than a 16v, at 80mph my 16v is at about 4000prm would an 8v be similar?

15. fishermanfred New Member

i love my mk2 8v i woz going to swap with a 16v then spent my cash on a fat bottle of noz for my old girl now i have her pushing loads of bhp now she is more fun to drive than ever can see the pics on the link. i would say sick with the 8v sorry poeple that have the 16v
    www.valve-bouncers.co.uk