a chip to cheap

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Tony20VTurbo, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

No, at least its a proper chip and not one of those god awful resistors (this doesnt mean its any good though). Ive seen similar chips on ebay, someone imports them from a German tuner and sells them cheap.

3. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

ok thanks

does anyone know then if these are any good?

4. Andy99 Forum Member

I've mailed him about them and he says that at best you will get 10% bhp/lbft increase on a standard car, and will be helped if you have other stuff done, i.e. filter exhaust, etc. on N/A cars it is supposed to make for a smoother power curve i think, just iron out any flatspots

look at his feedback as he has lots of + feedback, some from golf gti/rado/etc owners.

5. Rustynuts Forum Member

His feedback looks good. Its a bit like those TDi tuning boxes, just because they are cheap does not make them bad. I shall be giving him a try for when the 2l 16v 9a is up and running.

6. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Someone buy one then! [:D]

7. Andy99 Forum Member

there are 2 different ones he sells fot the mk3 2l 16v. one for bosch eprom chiped ECU and one for seimens eprom chipped ECU.

he lists the part no.s on the auctions for the ecu so i just need to find out which ecu i have and i will get one and try it out.

how do i find the part no. for my ECU??

8. Mantle New Member

i had 1 of these chips for my mk2 8v. there prety gd chips. gets rid of that stupid digi lag . put bhp up by bout 5-7 and the torque by bout 10 and that was with it standard. didnt mess up mpg eather. thort is prety gd for the money

9. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

i have now emailed the guy, as i might as well try it out and let you guys know if there is any improvement indeed!

cant hurt as it is relatively cheap and as you say he has some good feedback!

and indeed, how do i tell which ECU i have?[:s]

mine is an R reg 98 plate if that helps at all

any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Tony

10. Classy6 Forum Member

Look on the ECU there should be a number. Copy it down and give it him, that should be all he needs.

11. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

thanks mate

now where is the ECU situated...sorry for this is as its my first golf and i dont know where stuff is situated, is it near the passenger footweel or somewhere like that?

Thanks

Tony

12. Andy99 Forum Member

central back of the engine bay under the plastic cover behind the scuttle panel. i.e just below the base of the windscreen

looks like you need to take off the four or five plastic screws that hold on the cover and it should pull out so you can get to the ECU.

you can clear all the leaves out and dust off the Cabin filter at the same time

13. coullstar Forum Member

So has anybody bought one of these for the Mk3 16v yet?

I fitted one to my old 9a Corrado and it did seem to run slightly better.

14. Phil

Phil Forum Member

We are awaiting results from Mr. Andy99. :)

15. garfayliu Forum Member

Hi, I've just brought one of these blitzchips as mentioned above for my 1997 Golf GTI 16V. Performance Blitzchip

I found out the type of EEPROM number through VAGCOM:

Chassis Type: 1H - VW G/J/V Mk3
    Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,25,56

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
    Controller: 037 906 024 BE
    Component: DIGIFANT 3.2 1953
    No fault code found.

The 037 906 024 BE part is all the ebay seller needed, think mines the Siemens version. I'll make sure I read through the instructions properly and open up the ecu is a static free environment to make sure I don't fry anything. Would hate to toast my 16V, esp since I need it daily to get to work.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  16. Andy99 Forum Member

Have to check mine this weekend, been ****ing down with rain since last weekend :-(

codes are

Bosch Motronic Eprom 0 261 200 586 or 587

Seimens Eprom 037 906024 BE / BK

17. garfayliu Forum Member

My Blitzchip arrived this morning. Well packaged, with fairly clear instructions and a disposable anti-static wrist strap. I won't install the chip until I can measure the power-torque curves for the stock ecu and the new Blitzchip ecu, that way I know for sure what percentage increases the new chip gives and through what rev range.

There is a note at the end of the instructions which says: The mapings are designed to be used with an open type air filter, which will also help boost the Blitzchips performance. Also the use of premium octane fuel, such as BP Ultimate, Tesco 99, or Shell Optimax is recommended as the advance timing will take advantage of the increase octane levels so providing additional performance gains over using the fuel on its own

When I come to doing the tests, I'll use standard 95RON fuel for comparison tests. If possible, maybe do a high octane run, but don't fancy draining fuel, esp not at close of 1 per litre!

18. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Nice one mate. Are you doing it on the rollers then? :) Or do you just need a power graph for a standard valver?

Also looks like you have the same ECU as Andy?

19. garfayliu Forum Member

If you have a standard graph for the mk3 16V would be great, but I'll be measuring the wheel horse power using a GTech Pro thingie magig and work out torque curves etc... poor mans rolling road you might say. I don't know how accurate it will be, but at least it will give me a percentage improvement or decrease between stock and new chip.

20. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Where in the UK are you, mate? :)