A Copper Crashed Into Me!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by S1MMA, Nov 22, 2003.

1. fish6634 New Member

gutted man i thought the end post would say you got it all back and won what happened

2. Toffs Forum Member

bump

Any updates?

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

absolutely ridiculous..... the time it has taken to sort it out is ridiculous.

To be honest mate I think the legal guy's you have have been rubbish.

They should have got you too start a court claim against the driver for dangerous driving straight away, then they would have DEF been entitled to the tape as it would have been vital evidence for thier case and it would have automatically put some blame on him as you would be the one prosecuting.

Either way you can only use who the insurance company tell you too.

I genuinely hope you get some sort of result out of this, we are all rooting for you!!

4. GTI-Jay Forum Member

Sorry to hear it man there gonna try and wriggle out of it trust me. Dont let them.

I cant see the pictures for some reason

5. andycantelo Forum Member

Bad luck, hows your neck? That should pay for a fairly nice replacement alone.

6. Wish New Member

update

7. Toffs Forum Member

Please. :p

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Don't hold your breath - he hasn't logged on for a while.

9. dupple New Member

You can't do this mate get back on here and tell us what happened [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

10. GGR

GGR Forum Member

argh just read this, need an ending, its like watching "lost" what will happen!?!?!

11. dave18 Forum Member

foooking elll just read the whole thread HOW LONG. lol, Correct me if im wrong but i was told that police, ambulances and fire trucks arnt insured when using blues and toos same with anything Coast Guard Bomb Disposal ect and thats why they do there best not to pay out. By the sounds of it they know teir lad was in the wrong and hoping you will go away. TWATS is what i say, Not all coppers thou some are kool [:s]

12. clarky1961

clarky1961 Paid Member Paid Member

crist man my sis got crashed into just other week she was turning right to were our estat is jambarnny desided to overtake her on blue lights goin ti insdent cliped back the car he was sound admitted his fault they have to be breth tested to even police they offerd to pay damage were mint was woried about kidds in back the car his women boss was even beter bolicked him but took the **** as he went to a crime middel the week locked him self out jambarny had the **** riped few weeks this was a good one ///////so make change not to get shafted by them

13. graingermouse New Member

UPDATE!!!!!! please

Just read the whole thread! cant leave it here, its like watching the update of 24 then missing the last 2 episodes.

hope the IPCC have been involved, just the fact the coppers tried to use the tape to bully you into submission is worthy of a complaint

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  14. Toffs Forum Member

15. V6 Otto Forum Member

Wow, having read the parts of this thread that arent speculation or anti police or uneducated guesses at best on the law....

I guess the copper is at fault, police and other emergency services HAVE TO treat red traffic lights as a give way....but

now all this get the pig, get them done for dangerous, and all the other c6ap really is pathetic, for one, dangerous driving is waaaaaaaaaaay more than going through a red traffic light, regardless of what car it was and who was driving, i think most sensible people will agree, or do you want a criminal conviction for running a red light by mistake?

it could definately be careless, but with the same token the element of careless maybe on the OP` too? his word against the police officers that the lights and sirens were not on? the onus is on the police officer to justify the use of exemptions and or his emergency lights and sirens, not the member of the public to just expect them and why didnt he notice a 1500kg car coming towards him? i tell you why because he wasnt looking as he was taking the fact the light was green to go that it was safe....also careless?

and lets not forget here this is a couple of dented cars, the copper was probably on his/her way to an emergency call, and regardless of any right wing opinions on the police they do a hard job and hardly any of the critics could do even if they wanted to, but mainly because most haters/bigots are criminals or break the law as a matter of course because they think they are above it to be fair, and only form these hatred opinions and dislike it when they get a large portion of justice back from a "pig" despite having got away with it 100`s of times or they dont like the way the law is applied

there is also the issue that everyone thinks they are the best driver in the world dont they?, what i think is that people dont understand anything about the police other than what they see on street wars and shoite like that, and the rest is just their opinion form from the press who choose to portray police in a bad light at every situation, when was the last time they reported on a copper who risked his life to rescue someone? got beaten up by a burglar? stabbed with broken glass, run over? never because the press never praise its all negative

as a final note i would just like to add, that if they crashed into someone and they were not wearing their hats and carrying a bail of hay then they couldnt have shot a welshman with a long bow on a sunday in cheltenham.....owight

16. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Posting when drunk is bad...
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkaaaay?

17. jettadan Forum Member

Who the hell goes through a red light 'by mistake'? At the very least thats driving without due care an attention. If a Policeman saw me doing that i'd have points before i could even say 'what red light?'.

I suppose everyone always looks left and right when the lights are green don't they.......i was under the impression you had right of way on a green light. Living in the area that i do and taking the type of driving that i regularly come across, i do tend to have a good look round at junctions, even when the lights are on green, but i don't expect that everyone would do that. To try and apportion blame because someone didn't expect a car to go hurtling through a red light is bo11ocks!

To say that everyone whom has posted a negative comment regarding the Police is obviously a criminal just shows that a plonker you are - perhaps people are just angry at the way that this person has been treated.....?

And no-one else could do their job....i'm sorry, but what qualifications do you need to be a Policeman?

For your information, i spend a lot of time working with various departments of the Police and for the most part they are all a decent hard working bunch. I have however, also spent some time working with traffic Police, and from my experience, they are a different bunch and certainly had a different attitude to the normal Plod. Expressing delight how they had stopped 5 cars between leaving their base at Kendal to reaching the M6 to do their motorway partol highlighted to me how some CAN have a bad attitude and perhaps get a kick out of bullying motorists. I'm not saying that thats always the case, but it certainly left a bitter taste in my mouth.

18. S1MMA Forum Member

Hello everyone. Sorry for not updating this earlier, but I now have an update.

The matter was destined to go to court, and at the last minute, and I mean literally a couple of weeks before the court date, the police sent a letter to my Solicitor accepting liability and offered to settle on a 60/40 fault basis. This was a part 36 (IIRC) offer, which means I could either take the offer and walk away with a cheque for 60% of damages claimed, or I could still go to court - but if I did take it to court and I lost - then I would be personally liable for costs. My Solicitor told me this could and would run into several thousands of pounds, and he advised me to settle, which I did. So, in effect they accepted liability and I won. Good result!

I was a bit annoyed with the end result, because I wanted a 100% win and for the police to pay for my excess etc... but in the end I got a chunk of the excess back, and also damages for the whiplash, so I was pleased. Goes to show, sometimes the small man can win.

sorry for not updating the thread, but I can finally put it to rest now!

thanks for tuning in folks!

S1MMA

19. danster Forum Addict

Good news I suppose, but what a time and effort to sort out. Really is a shocking state of affairs for it to take so long and use up so many hours of folks time.

20. S1MMA Forum Member

I must add that IIRC this was settled in late 2008, so my fault for not updating the thread. Not that 5 years is a short amount of time to sort something like this out!