A rear brake issue

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by watercooled, Oct 10, 2018.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Gone through my brakes,power flushed old fluid out ,new front disks and pads,rear pads are less than 50% so changed them out for new after winding pistons back,adjust hand brake up and cycle it a few times and no grip, retighten cables and still nothing,why are they not self adjusting ????.
    Don't recall having the issue before and pretty sure everything is ok,emergency brake was excellent before I changed the pads,help please,cheers.

2. oakgreener Forum Member

I had this issue on an '88, which has the 36mm piston calipers. I had to wind the piston out by hand just enough to slide the caliper over the pads. Seemed to work OK.

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I jack out the piston with the handbrake lever, by hand, til the caliper just slides over the pads with gentle force . Obviously the cables will have to be loosened off to refit.
    They regularly don't adjust property by themselves , it seems like the piston doesn't screw along the self adjuster, it goes out, then returns back to where it was.

4. Tristan

I jack out the piston with the handbrake lever, by hand, til the caliper just slides over the pads with gentle force . Obviously the cables will have to be loosened off to refit.
    They regularly don't adjust property by themselves , it seems like the piston doesn't screw along the self adjuster, it goes out, then returns back to where it was.

5. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks to all for the answers,the pistons wound back easily just assumed they would move back out?.
    Will remove and gap them as mentioned,thanks a lot.

6. Tristan

no, not uncommon for them to push out, and back in as you pull and release the handbrake lever.

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It depends on the calipers you have wether you need to set the clearance or not newer mk4 ones you don't ie you wind the pistons all the way in with the handbrake disconnected fit the pads pump the brakes connect the handbrake and away you go

But earlier calipers that were fitted to the mk2 you have to set it manually with a feler gauge
    You wind the pistons all the way in with the handbrake disconnected and wind it out till you get the required clearance
    Don't wind it out and in or it wouldn't be set right
    If you have to wind it in best to wind it all the way back and start again

Also the clearance needs to be spot on or you either won't get the required braking or they will bind

8. watercooled Forum Member

Well here we go again,most of my setup issues were back to the rotors being different from side to side,not only by brand but thickness/wear,got a cracking deal on a new set locally,will collect them next week,should be sorted then.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Cool glad you got to the bottom of it