ABF Lambda sensor - wide or narrow band ?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by SwervinMervin, Sep 3, 2020.

1. SwervinMervin Forum Member

Hi,

I'm about to replace a lambda sensor on an abf converted Mk1 as it stinks of unburnt fuel and was wondering if a wideband lambda sensor could be used instead of the standard (presumably narrowband) version please ?
    The need for a wideband sensor is because I'm planning on running megasquirt in the future.
    Also, the ETKA I've consulted gives options for a cat-equipped vehicle (021906265C) and non-cat equipped (330 906 265), so logic would suggest as I don't run a cat that I pick the first option but does anyone know why they are different please ?

Thx in advance

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Wideband for tuning. Narrow band for emissions control.

3. SwervinMervin Forum Member

Are you saying I should get one of each or will the wideband emulate a narrowband for the ABF ecu please ?

4. Tristan

Apologies. I'd use just a wideband.

5. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

A wideband will not work with an ABF ECU without some sort of converter if they exist. They are different technology and output their signals/need controlling in a totally different way to a narrowband.

As for the part numbers 021906265C has a 4 wires going from the plug to sensor while 030906265AA has a 4 pin plug still but one of the wires has a ring terminal earth on, so only 3 wires actually go to the sensor. As for any other difference it could be that the car with Cat has 4 wires so it can accurately monitor the heater for emissions purposes. Although really, I have no idea [8D]

6. SwervinMervin Forum Member

Okay, one vote for each option, anyone else want to pitch in ?

7. Tristan

I thought you were using MegaSquirt?

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the only difference between ABF +CAT and ABF -CAT is the non cat version has a higher wattage heater to make up for the lack of extra heating into the exhaust from the cat. they are wired exactly the same and will swap either way. post-96 the plug shape changed, but the actual probes are still the same.

as said, for a stock ABF ECU you need a narrowband, you could get a wideband and wire it to the ECU via a wideband controller with narrowband output. or if you're going to megasquirt pretty soon and dont need a full controller say for an AFR gauge just leave the lambda unplugged, the ABF will drive fine without it just not quite as well with it. I drove mine for a week without as I couldnt face going under the car again, once lambda fitted the only difference I noticed was it was a bit smoother on/off idle. You may notice a difference on a set of rollers or if your arse dyno is more sensitive than mine.

not something I would do long term, but if its only a few months till you go megasquirt then be fine

9. SwervinMervin Forum Member

Thanks to all for the contributions and the excellent insight, I shall seek out a wideband controller with narrow band output, to be able to use the digifant ecu and to be ready for the swap to MS.
    Any recommendations on a wideband controller to help 'narrow' down the search please ?

10. SwervinMervin Forum Member

I can lay my hands on an Innovate LC-1 wideband controller (the later version with serial starting CLC) apparently.
    Anyone used one of these please ?