ABF to AGU swap info needed

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Matas, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Matas Forum Member

Hello, can anyone send me a link or something of people who did this swap before?
    I'm looking to swap my ABF from mk2 ibiza to 1.8t AGU.
    I'm looking for AGU instead of BAM since it is an easier swap, I heard it is ABF out and AGU in. I found AGU from A3 Audi, is it hard to swap? What has to be changed?
    Can I use my ABF gearbox on AGU engine? Which gearbox is better?
    What about wiring? Any diagrams?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what gearbox are you running at the moment?

AGU isnt really all that much easier, only real difgference is you have to mount the pedal for later DBW. you may find you can bolt up a remote type actuator to your pedal box, or by using MK3 Ibiza parts, the Ibiza 20v used one of these which will work with any MK4 DBW type ecu with the right wiring to match it.

MK2 Ibiza is a CE2 fusebox, so you can follow this:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...install-faq-now-with-added-dieselness.267196/

it has electronic speedo so wire up the mk4 speedo sender to the old wiring, and the cluster will run direct off the mk4 ecu signal so no need to fit adaptor either

3. Matas Forum Member

I dont know the code of my current gearbox.
    I have heard before that AGU is pretty simple swap
    And for speedo to work I would need to get mk4 speedo senser and my speedo would be working fine?

4. rubjonny

is it an 02a type box or 020 is mainly what I was interested in :)

for speedo if its an 02a box you can keep the existing sender, just wire it up to the mk4 wiring as per my guide though does mean changing the plug usually unless its a really early agu. or swap a mk4 5 speed 02J sensor over then the mk4 loom plugs into it if later type, the electric part just unscrews from the mechanical bit

Matas likes this.
  5. rubjonny

regards to fitting the engine any 20v is same deal, just as I say with DBW you have to sort the accelerator pedal unit which isnt all that hard. both will need boost pipes sorting, both need looms converting, both need the right brackets & downpipe etc.

6. Matas Forum Member

Well I cant tell you which box I have at the moment

7. rubjonny

is the ibiza an original abf car? i was assuming it had an engine swap in the past for some reason. if the car is original abf then you can use the gearbox and full set of engine brackets :)