ABS is faulty after heavy braking

Discussion in 'Passat' started by DaddyPig, Dec 22, 2019.

1. DaddyPig New Member

What’s the first thing to check as I now have no ABS after a heavy braking incident. You switch on the car and it bleeps 3 times, has the red warning light and ABS light is on. The ABS is no longer working. So frustrating everything was fine until after I braked heavily.

1998 B5 Passat.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

How are the pads?

3. DaddyPig New Member

The pads are good. I will take off the wheels when I get chance after xmas see if any wires are broken. It failed during the heavy braking, while the ABS was working away like crazy, the roads here are ice roads and was -15.c. Can’t help that reindeer or moose jump into the road in front of you!

4. davidut5 Forum Member

Do a fault scan on it.
    Ive seen some abs modules fail, mainly the connection from module board to multiplug, but a fault scan is best for starters.

5. okops New Member

Check if some of the ABS sensors are unplugged.

6. davidut5 Forum Member

That wont give beeps and flashing lights.
    It beeps if you are low on brake fluid and flash hand brake light but without abs light.

7. DaddyPig New Member

Thanks I’ll get it scanned. I can’t find anything obvious and checked fuse 7 for ABS and that’s ok. The wiring looks all good too so it’s probably the module knowing my luck.

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Best thing to do is get someone to scan it that can, most OBD / DIY readers don't read abs to check before you decide to buy one.
    Sounds like its only noticed something wrong when actually in an ABS cycle, the other times it just sits there waiting
    So either a fuse has blown when the pumps operated, (big 40/50 amp by relays drivers lower dash from memory is the pump feed) or its seen something else it wasn't happy with

9. DaddyPig New Member

Ah that’s what I was looking for the fuses as it had to operate for so long in the cold. That was my first thought that a fuse had blown. I will check those fuses as I could only find a 10 amp fuse for the ABS and that was ok.

I will check later today, many thanks.

10. DaddyPig New Member

Sadly not the fuses so looking like a sensor or abs unit. Hopefully it’s a sensor but at this point it will have to go to a garage for somebody else to check. Too dark and cold to do much on cars this time of year unless you can get it inside, one of the frustrations living above the Arctic Circle.

Thanks anyway Chris and others for the advice.