ABV intake dyno evaluation. Farewell. Toyotec's Golf 3 200ps VR6 'Der Ankor'.

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Toyotec, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Sounds like you run a M2.9 ecu . These are easier to recal than mine. Also easier to emulate with ostrich because they are 8 bit. The parameters for your M2.9 job are significantly less than my M 3.8.1 system. I did understand what to do though. It is the refinement that takes time.

2. powernut Forum Member

im unsure of ecu type tbh, ecu code is 021 906
    258 ea, as i was unsure which firmware this ecu uses , compaired to 021 906 258 bk/ch ecu i assume they must have differnert firmware on them compaired to the ea/bm us ecus?
    coilpack version :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  3. Toyotec

Those are the VW part numbers which would change as the calibration changes.

4. powernut Forum Member

i was trying similar maps on differnert ecu codes , yet all maps,setting are replaced in differnert parts of the maps ,can be nightmare trying to find correct parts to change :lol:

5. Toyotec

Not when you work with the correct damos ;).

6. powernut Forum Member

i heard of this but never tryed it tbh ,,, tunieing fun , and stressfull at times ....

7. Toyotec

Lots have been taking place on my Golf 3 VR6...I will update this thread in the coming days to reflect the many changes that have taken place on the car we call 'Der Ankor'

Stay tuned stay optimised.:thumbup:

1990 likes this.
  8. Toyotec

Part 1 updates Nov 2012

My Golf 3 VR6 is a very unique member of the Toyotecwerke fleet.
    This car has performed daily duties as a work car, truck, van, Euro gran tourer, development mule, dyno correlation, track car and even a courtesy car.
    With 173k on the odometer and full of stories I rather not tell, parts started to drop off and the old girl required a few updates such as:

MK3 Recaro Sport Seats

[​IMG]

New Brake Discs ( Ferodo DS3000's Eat discs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *I have now purchased some Ferodo "Premier" pads as my road pads.

A trackday was booked at Snetterton and the vehicle threw a massive tantrum, meaning time and money to purchase further components that were worn, such as the clutch, tie rod end, gearbox mount and tyres.

[​IMG]
    In the picture above, Redline shockproof gear oil was very helpful to transform gearbox notchiness.

The Snetterton trackday was fantastic and after some tuition, I had a great time in the wet. Here is a video that demonstrates just that.

[youtube]VdKwx6V8RRM[/youtube]

Following my fantastic day at Snetterton, in November, plans began, regarding what to do about my good 'ol boat ankor.

[​IMG]

The choices:
    Scrap it
    Purchase a MK4 V6 4 motion
    Refit with a 2.8 24v BDE motor
    Upgrade the 2.8 AAA motor with a refreshed 2.9 ABV

The car surprised me on that wet day at the track so much that instead of scrapping the thing, I found myself wanting to replace the rest of worn bits to make it reliable again.
    The main worn out component was the engine. Though the car still performs its daily routine as a road car, the engine had done 170K miles and was blowing by a tad and needed a rebuild. When it was younger, the car could achieve and indicated 149mph on the Autobahn, now it just touches 140mph on the last trip to Germany. A 24v BDE motor was strongly considered for it's high compression and extended breathing. However this involved some integration work to adapt to my Golf 3.

As the urge to cut my losses returned, this turned up on ebay...which I later acquired. As I had sold the 8v engine for JORAN, this engine, via some minor haggling only cost 20 net.

[​IMG]

I hear you say "so...just another VR6"

However this is a 2.9 ABV lump. This is the same engine that is fitted to Murat's Golf 2 that I chased in the video.

[​IMG]

It is believed the increased inlet manifold area as seen below and the choice of carefully selected camshafts could make this engine perform as good as a std BDE 24v engine with it's 201lbft of twist and 205bhp.

The engine spec I propose to create is as follows:
    Tweaked ABV 2.9 VR6 ith 218bhp@ 6200rpm and 205lbft @ 4.5 -5200rpm.
    Needs Cams, AMY/AFP code MLS headgaket and minor head work on purchased engine. ABVs have 10.5:1 CR as STD and it is believed the MLS gasket from the APF and AMY engine increases CR. Further testing on the MLS gasket confirms if this opinion is actually ture.
    Engine to get a inspection with new rings using piston funnel 3278.
    This would be a drive in drive out swap, then retune existing ECU.
    As I have the means to perform all the above with parts, this should cost significantly less than a BDE 24v conversion.

This is how the performance/cost stats stack up against other engine options that I have tested.
    AUM/AUQ 1.8T with 'KO3s' turbo plus mapping ~ 230bhp @ 5900rpm and 250lbfty - Cost installed ~1200 plus downtime as the conversion would to a 4 cylinder. (At the time in 2012) Do not have tools to defeat immo or read/write/edit ME7 ECUs to required torque or power - Investment for 2013. Need E-Gas pedal.
    ECU tweaked AAA 2.8 VR6 190bhp @ 5800rpm and 188-192lbft @ 4400-4600rpm up from a stock 179-180bhp @5800rpm and 183lbft @ 4200rpm - Worn but fitted as std. 0 cost
    STD ABV 2.9 VR6 190bhp @5800 and 195lbft @ 4500rpm - in hand for ?20, drive in drive out swap. Replacement engine has 185K miles so needs a rebuild/inspection. 190bhp and 195lbft not enough.
    BDE 2.8 24v 230bhp @6200rpm and 210lbft @ 4600rpm plus mapping - Cost installed 800 pounds. (At the time in 2012) Do not have tools to defeat immo or remap to power spec yet. Extra work required for ME7 controls ie pedal.
    BUB 3.2 24v 260bhp@ 6500rpm and 250lbft @ 4600 rpm plus mapping - Cost installed 1600 pounds (At the time in 2012) Do not have tools to defeat immo or remap to power spec yet. Extra work required for ME7 controls ie pedal.
    Supercharged VF1/9 AAA 2.8 on 6-7psi max 270bhp @ 6500rpm 240lbft @ 5000rpm - Cost 1000 pounds, but needs good base engine.

Since that time the engine started to lose water and the source of the problem cannot be found. The above work on the ABV engine has now been expedited.
    A list was made of service parts required and a visit was made to GSF and Euro Car Parts.
    The search for a MLS VR6 gasket and chain guides was futile at the above motor factors, so I asked one of my contacts in VW to order:
    Twin chain chain guides.
    The piston funnel tool 3278.
    MLS headgasket.

With these parts on the way, work commenced on the engine to start tearing down.

[​IMG]

The unique larger plenum of the ABV 2.9 will be studied in a later chapter.

[​IMG]

Engine did not look too bad when the valve cover was lifted.

[​IMG]
    But there were some casualties such as this broken chain guide.

[​IMG]

This is the short engine.

[​IMG]

Some glazing from 185K miles may clean up with a hone however a full bore inspection would later commence.

[​IMG]

Today(Nov 12 [:D]), work started to strip down the head.

[​IMG]

Oops! Given myself some extra work.

[​IMG]

Got him involved becaused he asked!

[​IMG]
    Stopped here for the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Part 2 we clean out my shed. The ABV valvetrain is removed from the head and the variable die grinder makes an appearance

Next steps
    Choosing the cams. Started
    Inspecting engine bearings and pistons.
    Honing the block.
    Purchasing the rings.
    Head prep and matching porting. Started 31-12-12
    Match M3.8.1 J338 thorttle module to 2.9 inlet manifold.
    Purchase Pastigage.
    Purchase assortment tray for valves/spring/hydro lifters.
    2.9 Engine reassembly.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Pics not working for me Eddie,again! :cry:

Those AMY MLS head gaskets are pretty hard to get hold of, I struggled last time I needed one.

VW only as I'm sure you're aware.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  10. Toyotec

Problem with web browser as I use Chrome. Will fix later.

The MLS VR6 gaskets I obtained fairly easy. I got one from VW and another from Elring. More to come on that in a proceeding chapter!

11. Toyotec

Pictures should now work matey...

12. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I remember some of the VR6 heads becoming porous. Something to do with the material used and one of the coolant types? Can follow up if you'd like.

13. Toyotec

Hey Alex,
    I agree there are various updates to VW's coolant family from G11 to current G12++. I am happy to report this engine has lived through those changes without any visual untoward deterioration in the cylinder head cooling circuits.
    The reason for the coolant loss will become clear in future parts of these updates. It was not as a result of cylinder head porosity.

Stay tuned stay optimised ;)

14. lufbramatt Forum Member

oooooo I do like a good cliffhanger ;)

15. GVK

Yep, pics are working here, use Chrome too.

16. Toyotec

No problem buddy...:thumbup:

17. GVK

There's a guy in the USA on the mk2 VR6 Facebook page who has a high compression 12v VR6 build with ~290 degree cams, sounds like a Yank V8 has been dropped in! lol

18. Dom.joy Forum Member

Anymore on this?

19. Toyotec

I have been so busy making sure everyone has a good time in the club, I have lagged behind in the updates of my own cars on here.
    'Der Ankor', as we call it, is going strong and refuses to die. Now with a wopping 179K miles and 200bhp, it sure does lap up the miles on the daily commute.
    The engine does breath a tad bit more know and depending how how long it is with us, I may update it with a 2.9 engine that can be built.
    We will see.

20. Dom.joy Forum Member

Ah nice. I'd love to hit 200bhp with mine. First thing is to get it on a RR standard and see where I sit as results for them seem so varied.