Adjusting ABF Throttle Closed Switch

Discussion in '16-valve' started by nickh89GTi, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Yeh no worries Nick, Ill have a listen tonight!

What does this thing do?! I cant seem to find it in the haynes, does it have a different name?!

What problems/symptoms does it cause/have if its not working properly?! Could it cause the slight rise/ slow to return revs that I get all the time when I dip the clutch and take my foot off the accelerator?

I had noticed, not realising what that EVAP thing was, that it pulses rather like the fuel pumps/lines when the engine was running before.. but ill check for ticking!

2. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Its not in the haynes book of lies. There's one for the diesel engine in there but not the petrol version. Its something to do with the emissions system i beleive. I read somewhere that if its working correctly when you take the fuel cap off you get a slight hiss when the cap is released. Mine doesn't do anything as i think it has died.

3. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Ok Nick, I had a listen with the engine running, but to be honest I couldnt hear any ticking, too noisy in there! :) But as I said, it does seem to pulse, as do the fuel lines going into it, like a pump is at work!

If you're still having problems with the throttle as previously described, and as I was, I really urge you all to look at this before fiddling with the throttle position - Today I fitted a new throttle cable (5min job) because mine was frayed, and as I said earlier, it was indeed causing the throttle to go back too far on the sensor. Because of the fraying, it allowed the cable to extend about 1mm further than it should do, causing lag between 1-2k rpm and jerkiness on and off the throttle. After changing it, that is all gone, and my god is it alot more responsive! :)

I did notice my mpg gauge is reading only around 32mpg now compared to 35 plus before, but I think that is because it now pulls from when I first touch the accelerator pedal, before I had to press it down half way to get any response! I cant believe that a jiffy cable can have a knock on effect and make the car feel sluggish like that!!

So yeah, check your cable for wear and tear! Even if you dont have a problem like mine, a new cable on a 10yr + old car makes it feel like new again, pedal is so light now! :thumbup:

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Do we do this at running temp and in Basic Settings or does it not matter?

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Get the engine to 90 deg C and start fettling from there.

6. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Nice one; I have a spare I need to fit/adjust after I had to expoy the old one on as a temprary fix.

7. Martyn Hayes New Member

I think I have a similar issue with mine, I’ve got a ABF in a mk2, it was idling very high and on inspection found the idle throttle switch resting on the exhaust manifold and melted, took it to a garage and he couldn’t get the part anywhere so believe he fitted a 8v mk2 switch seems to work pull but think the adjustment is out slightly. When I’m cruising along and take my foot on and off the throttle to maintain a certain speed the car kinda jumps abit maybe this could be the throttle not being adjusted properly? Are there any expert garages you would recommend visiting? The ones near me don’t really know the engine that well
    Thanks