After fitting new battery

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Adam peachey, May 14, 2020.

1. Adam peachey Forum Member

I fitted a new battery on my mk4 golf 2ltr gti, &now no alarm??the doors open&lock of remote, but no alarm, I have the alarm code, how can you reset??any help,thanks Adam

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

so aftermarket alarm? any idea what type?

3. Adam peachey Forum Member

No m8, it is the original, iv got the original plastic covered code on spare key, iv got a new switch to be fitted, do you think they could be related?my ignition is really loose when i put key in. Any thoughts? Ta Adam

4. rubjonny

plastic thing sounds like the SKC code for the immobiliser? when you say no alarm, what exactly do you mean? ive had battery off our bora several times didnt affect anything

5. Adam peachey Forum Member

When i bought the car, the alarm worked, made a noise. The little light next to the lock on door still flashes, but no alarm.

6. rubjonny

ah the arm/disarm chirp is a feature you can enable with vagcom, doesnt affect the alarm. do your indicators flash? thats another feature you can switch on and off as well. to test the alarm get inside the car and lock yourself in. after a while do a little dance see if the interior motoring picks you up and sets it off

Adam peachey likes this.
  7. Adam peachey Forum Member

Thanks for the advice, il let you know what happens, no they dont now?used to, iv a feeling the ignition switch is knackered, as i said my key is really lose, compared to a friends, &the starter problems,still got that intermittent whirring noise,gutted, you think the switch will be good place to start?if i plug new switch in, will I be able to use screwdriver to start it, with key in barrel to keep steering lock off?ta m8

8. Adam peachey Forum Member

Right just did your test, the indicators do flash,got in car, locked it then tried to open the doors &shook the car, but funny thing, when I put steering lock on, then put key in to unlock it, just for a second the alarm came on !!!got to be switch?&ignition barrel?your thoughts please,.& could I use it by using screwdriver to start,ta adam

9. rubjonny

well worth doing anyway, you can plug it to the loom and turn with a screwdriver as you say to check it before you replace it. the procedure is pretty simple I put the details in your other thread

Adam peachey likes this.
  10. Adam peachey Forum Member

Thanks for your help

11. Adam peachey Forum Member

Hi there, just been starting to swap the switch, &it looks like i can get the shroud, top and bottom without taking s,wheel off,it just a little tight to get the 2 screws next to wheel, but can defo get them out, then shurly its just 2 screws under &the lever to adjust hight &then access is there to remove some of the way,to remove switch, does it sound poss if i can get the 2 screws under wheel out ??ta Adam

12. rubjonny

see how you go, main thing is loosen the screws that hold the switch in then swap it over