Aftermarket ABF ECU

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Matas, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Matas Forum Member

Good day!

Sorry if there have been posts like this before, but my question is it worth it to put a programmable ecu in stock abf?
    Main concern of mine is that I want to have more control of abf engine, I believe that with a programmable ecu I could map it to work perfectly.
    Is it possible to get any power gain?
    What kind of ecu's should I be looking for?
    How expensive are they?
    How much do I have to modify the loom to the aftermarket ecu?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Gains will be small on a standard engine.
    Toyotec did it on his, years ago, but if I remember correctly, the gains were only really noticeable with the engine having some other modifications.
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-meqasquirt-your-abf-engine.203746/

MegaSquirt is/was popular, but if I was you, I'd be looking at something like a MaxxEcu mini, or basic DTA/OMEX. Really it's a discussion to have with your chosen engine mapper / dyno guy.
    There will be some changes to the wiring required.

Matas likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The manufacturer calibrates their engine to work perfectly for a wide range of customers.
    Often what will work generically, might not suite the serious enthusiast.
    Most factory engines, can be made to work harder, thus reducing the effectiveness of the emission control, fuel economy and durability, away from the OE's legal obligations.
    You must first decide you are happy to carry out performance enhancing task and risks it might have to the above.

As with most folks seeing full load dyno pulls and touting it after, I recommend against targeting peak power increases. It is a very narrow way to evaluate what components are required. It is usually meaningless.

When I shared a lot of ABF tuning tips on this site, I was always best engine response everywhere. I did not have full access to the OE Digifant 3.X ECU at the time, and SEMs were fairly expensive. I had to skills to build megasquirts so focused on that. In being able to build, test and integrate a MS to a stock ABF engine, I was able to enhance the torque of such an engine to the levels, seen in a high fill race engine. Just at 2000 rpm less than a race engine. So with the stock engine achieving up to 140 lbft @ 4600 rpm at WOT, with ECU tuning I was able to achieve up to 162lbft from 3800 to 5500 rpm depending on engine condition. And very fast response to throttle opening from any stable load.

That sort of experience was not limited to a megasquirt. Today the same calibration DNA, can be applied to a factory Digifant, DTA, OMEX or Emerald ECU.
    There is no plug and play SEM for the Digifant 3 ECU. So a trained wiring loom builder will have to match a loom to suit the SEM you choose to go with.

As Tristan said, you need to work with a tuner and what control system he is used to, to get the most out of a particular control system and engine.
    You have to spend time both on the dyno and more importantly on the road, in the loads and speeds the vehicle will most encounter.

I would suggest with that nugget, you have enough information to do a bit more careful research yourself.

erreesse likes this.
  4. Matas Forum Member

Thank you for your reply.
    I am a bit limited to the language barrier, megasquirt is a brand for an aftermarket ecu right?
    Also you say that it is possible to tune with stock difigant ecu? My seat has 3.2 ecu i believe.
    And you managed to get 162lbft out of stock abf's 132lbft?

5. Toyotec

Best to look at my signature links or search Toyotec on here.

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

MegaSquirt is a company, that supplies a DO it Yourself type ecu.

However, a basic SEM is a lot more affordable now.

7. Toyotec

They supply fully built up units now. Some models have PnP also. Costs have risen since I used to build the MS1/MS2 ver 3 pcb.
    However as you said, many of current SEMs are just around the 600 quid mark, EMU Classic, Emerald, Omex 700, DTA etc.
    Those will do.

8. RussK Paid Member Paid Member

So do you think it's still worth pursuing MS or are there better / more appropriate SEM now (for a similar cost)?
    I guess the question is, as you said, depends on what your tuner is used to...

Problem for me is I have light fettling under the bonnet at the moment (ABF in a mk2 with k-jet) but looking to move to ITB's in future so would like a bit of future proofing.
    Plus I would also like to be able to tune it myself (whether or not I ever get round to do this, it's always something I've wanted to try)

9. Toyotec

The days for that sort of thing are long gone.
    Best look at the list I suggested above. ITBS on ABF engines are pretty basic. so you do not need anything fancy to control the engine.

10. RussK Paid Member Paid Member

ok, thanks, I'll look at those options.

Thing is, I don't mind spending a little more to allow for possible future advancements like a turbo or something so not too worried about having overkill to start with.