Aftermarket wings for a Type19?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Rustbuster, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    Just looking at my options after discovering quite bad rust underneath the front vinyl arch trims on my Type19 Mk2. The front third of the lip where the arch trims rivet on to has gone completely, both sides. I think I’ll replace them with new ones but will have to be aftermarket as no longer available from VW. Couple of questions, anyone had any experience with the Rhibo brand ones that Heritage are selling or the the ones on eBay that seem to be a make called Prasco? Heritage do have a US spec genuine VW left wing, anyone know if they’re the same fit as ours except those holes for the side reflector or whatever it is? Also, I’ve seen different ones pictured in ads with up to five holes for where the front bumper mounts. Mine has just one hole on drivers side and two on passenger side (second one for the outside air temp sensor) to mount the bumper. Take it I’ll be ok with a newer wing to mount small bumper ok? Ta 9AD28AE1-7D24-4964-84EA-BEACF430B7D9.jpeg 17C9A6B8-DE63-4D95-8907-52EEF17F660E.jpeg

2. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had heard the heritage ones were not that good a fit but that was quite a long time ago, can you weld ? if so and the rest of the wing is good could you just replace the rotten bit ?

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The ones we got for Allie's car last year fitted extremely well, one from vw parts international, that was a rhibo one I think, the other came from hadrian, so both aftermarket.
    I've bought a new one for my passenger side and a front panel from heritage too as it has a bumped corner. They fit well and were very reasonable prices.

4. Rustbuster

Thanks gents, that’s all helpful info. Think I’ll order a couple and then probably, as valvemeister suggests carve them up and make good my original wings. Seems like the best compromise. And dodgy, they’re very reasonable priced. Almost too reasonably priced. If they were £100 more expensive each I’d probably be happier.

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The cheaper price one was better than the hadrian panels one at twice the price.
    I'll see what make the one I have now is

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Heritage wings fit well, main issue being the indicator hole isn’t square, and the grille seems to cause some issues. I’d buy them to chop up personally

7. Rustbuster

Think I’ll do that. Seems the best compromise. Thanks.

8. Rustbuster

I’ve ordered the pair of Rhibo ones from Heritage. I’ll decide when they arrive whether to fit them or cut them up for parts to make good my originals. I’ll post the results.

valvemiester and dodgy like this.
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for 100% originality you'll want to use the new wings as donors for steel sections. the early wings are slightly different shape around the grille area as well as having no hole for trim or side repeator.

plus original steel = best steel ;)

valvemiester and Rustbuster like this.
  10. Rustbuster

I agree completely. Anything original must be salvaged and kept.

valvemiester likes this.