AGU with stage 2 map, but not producing enough power

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by rubjonny, Mar 25, 2014.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ah, hopefully that was down to rubbish fuel but we'll take it for another run and check the logs again to see if its still doing it. Apparently the map is designed for a 3bar FPR and standard injectors, but I'm not so sure as he has just tried the 3bar FPR and it now runs like a bag of spanners...

I will try to make him see sense and take it for a run on some proper rollers with suitable adult supervision for sure!

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Where is the car exactly?

+25% correction, to maintain lambda 1 suggests something more fundamental with hardware in my experience.

3. rubjonny

Its near me in Bracknell, he has also since changed the MAF along with putting good fuel in and found the car much better, though I'm not sure if it was that which helped or the good fuel or both as of yet as I've not managed to get any logs.

the main problem is as you say that its had an unknown map put on there plus with the K03s and other bits we dont really have a baseline to work from. Personally I'd have rather built the car as completely standard AGU with std ecu, get that tip top then start upgrading etc but hey ho!

I will try to get some new logs at some point but with the boy, all these looms I have to make, a new bathroom to finish off my spare time is limited :(

4. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

what was the result in the end John?

5. rubjonny

as per my last post really, as he had put it all together from various scrapped cars and ebay components with an unknown map nothing really matched together and without a known good baseline to work from we were just chasing our tails trying to figure if we had a bad parts or just incorrect for the ecu map.

the moral of this story is when you want to put together an engine conversion make sure you have a base running engine before you start, or at least put together a stock engine to start with so you know what it is you're dealing with :lol:

6. cupracraig

yes, thats all very logical.

I've found a mapper but its near london, so i'm just collating the parts now for a K03s conversion. 220ish sounds ideal to me

7. rubjonny

main thing is you build a car which can make it to your mapper, or pay for it to be transported there. 2nd is that you're 100% sure your kit of parts is tip top, you dont want to be sent home with a bill and no map because your coilpacks are garbage or whatever [:D]

8. Toyotec

Never target max power with these things.

Quoted bhp peaks are not a measure for actual driving expectation.

9. cupracraig

i'm not, just saying that if i could get to that, it would be really good. :)

10. Toyotec

It is just a number dude at a tuny rpm band of sometimes less than 50.
    Most cars, with the same weight and gearing, tuned with some sort of emphasis on boost meeting target, spark advance being within MBT or just around -3 degs of spark correction and fuel setpoint between RBT and LBT, will accelerate the exactly the same as a later ME7.5 engine, tuned with the same ethos.

I am not here to tune your car, but will happily enlighten, so you the end user does not get sold into the peak bhp targeting hype. I see far too many so called tuned vehicles, where the owner was after an arbitrary number, only to realize after some development there is way more to a tune off the maximum or pops and bangs.
    The map has to work 80% of the time off WOT and sub 5000 rpm. It must also feel right at those load demands.

Good luck with it though.

11. cupracraig

i appreciate that. i've learnt loads over the last few years working on this car, but i have lots more to learn.

12. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

@rubjonny - maybe a long shot but did you ever get to the bottom of this? Having similar issues with my remapped scirocco AGU

13. rubjonny

did you take it to the guy for a map or was it an off the shelf map flashed to the ecu? tbh I washed my hands of the thing as it was a collection of random scrappy bits bolted together and a random flash map off something else which is never going to work

14. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Tuning Technics map based off my setup of parts and what the car was boosting to as standard, would obviously be much better to have the car there in person as you mention before but he is the other side of the UK to me unfortunately. Just wandered if there was a hardware issue that was fixed in your mates case :)

15. rubjonny

originally the maf was bad and he filled it with shit fuel, sorting those things helped a fair bit

GVK likes this.