AIR FILTER

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Prash, Nov 15, 2004.

1. pipercross New Member

Mass relates to the wieght of a substance, with out the effect of gravity but the mass would not account for the flow into the engine, hense the use of the word ammount. If you want to be so anal about my posts I wont bother, I am just here to help people out.
    Edited by: pipercross

2. Seizure Forum Member

Well this certainly makes good reading. How nice to have a proper discussion goin on. :lol:

Cheers for the info Adam. I will sort my car out and get back to you ASAP. [:D]

Bill - Just out of curiousity, how does your cold air feed fair in the wet? My car suffers horendously from hot air intake temps around town with its little cone filter mounted right at the back of the engine bay. It's fine once it's up to speed, but..... I was concerned with hitting a puddle and sucking loads of water into the engine, followed by a bent conrod or summit. Take it this hasn't proved an issue for you?

Edited by: Seizure

3. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Not yet, but I do remember mines located very low down.. drive thru a deep puddle and I would hydrolok tho.. driving in wet has no effect.. driven water hits pipe and does'nt make it as far as filter, and if it did it would sit in case and drip out of my small drainhole.
    These are available in different sizes.. Mines the XXL largest one. Regular XL is what fits 1.8T's usually.

4. pipercross New Member

As soon as we are in a position to design the intake system let be know, you must be getting fed up with that little green thing!

The intake on the ibiza does look a little low. Watch out for puddles and streams!

5. badger5

In the flesh.. it sits in the fog lamp apature which is 4" off the ground.. I don't plan of driving thru deep puddles in it tho.. Ibiza is a opain for finding location for cold air feeds... very small engine bay which is already filled up.
    Little Green thing indeed.. doubles up as a dustbin.:lol: [:D]

6. pipercross New Member

Sorry I was not talking about your green dustbin! I was taking about the green temporary filter on seizure's motor.

7. pipercross New Member

Bill,

Just a question, after a hard run does the outer sheild on your filter get really hot?

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I bet you downloaded it off the internet!!

Typing out of his arse???? :lol:

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

I'll leave it be, but i could correct you here aswell :lol:

Carry on...... :)

10. N1CK Forum Junkie

Is it advisable to remove the restrictive baffle from the
    mk2 airbox and drill holes in the fron t and wing side
    of the air box?

11. badger5

No.. but it will if left with bonnet shut after a hard run.. same as eveything else in the engine bay.

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Washable k&n for me ;) & some BIG holes drilled into me airbox with a low cold air feed pipe like bills.

Just gotta get around to boxing it off (got it all made up just cant be arsed). :lol:

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Dont let Andy bother you, he speaks like that to MOST people, thats quite tame for him :lol: .

Nice to hear some decent conversations on the forum for a change :lol: ;)

14. prof Forum Addict

pipercross boys i'll volunteer my car and pay for a before and after RR run at stealth to test out your designs, what about that :)

15. prof Forum Addict

cmon fellas let's try it

16. P1PRX Forum Member

Adams away today hence no reply...

Out of interest why do you want to pay when you are such a sceptic of performance filters...I understand you wish to try and prove us wrong..but to want to pay to do it?????

do you have money to burn?

I have heard many good things about stelth..in fact I wouldent mind them setting up my mk1 16v. but as it seems they are also sceptical of the merits of performance filters, they already belive they will not work, so why would they be interested in testing.

I feel if you want to do something like this, lets go to a compleatly inderpended rolling road, maybe ivite Rabbit magazine to do a bit of editorial, and lets see what happens?

James

17. AlexB Forum Member

And i've got 180bhp, and a standard 11 air filter :p

18. P1PRX Forum Member

180bhp and.......?

does that mean you might not be able to get an extra 4lbft torque at 2000rpm with an airfilter??????

I dont get your point, well done for getting 180bhp, does that mean no more power is avalible?

19. prof Forum Addict

this is exactly what i would like to find out, as for paying 2 runs and a setup from vince will be approx 50

mine needs a setup anyway so why not

20. P1PRX Forum Member

I will sayagain prof Stelth already belive there is no point in performance airfilters, it has been said in this thread that they often remove performance airfilters, So whay would they be interested in doing such a test, if not only to try and prove Pipercross wrong, dont get me wrong i,m not avoiding the test as we said all our filters are tested all over the world be dealers, but hey lets make it fair and have some inderpaendend tuner give his unbiased opinion...and make a bit of a feature about it.