AIR FILTER

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Prash, Nov 15, 2004.

1. edc1 Forum Member

I think prof just wants to see any gains there may be for himself. Stealth just happens to be a convenient place for him. Why not Stealth anyway, will they sabotage the RR runs?

2. prof Forum Addict

well most of us have run at stealth in the past, the figures are known and if the new airfilter makes it really lean then Vince can adjust it to suit there and then, so it would just be the quickest route

but if vince says that his dyno reads that performance filters are of no benefit then i'm inclined to believe him, as he has a lot of experienced of tuned engines. Also i can get the files and plot the different runs so that we can look at all parts of the rev range and not just peak numbers.

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

P1PRX:

as i read it, the offer from prof is genuine, with the roller choice of stealth because they have gained a reputation, on here, of being more genuine than some...

Maybe you'd like to point us at the scientific research papers you and your mate have contributed to. So that we can see how your company is pushing the bounaries of filter design for ourselves?

OTOH, if your so called "research", is more acuratly an investigation/experimentation type process, you probably don't want us/other manufacturers to have the details. Because lets face it, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to grab some "stuff", and measure the delta P and particulate filtering properties.

But, at the end of the day, do WE need a better filter?

Which is the question i believe prof has offered you an opportunity to answer.

M.

4. smithy Forum Member

I dont think stealth are going to refuse to do the comparison between the filters, I mean, they are getting payed for it at the end of the day, so it isnt going to matter to vince if you change the filter on each run.

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

what would be important is repeat runs both with an without the filters.. be they panel or full induction kits..

An American mag did a test, and chose to use a VR6 as their mule for the testing, as they did not want a car variable which could rubbish their tests.. (their other preference was 1.8T but that was binend due to heatsoak and repeat issues)

Choice of vehicle would be important.
    Spec the car/engine
    Spec the venue
    Spec the test & repeat conditions
    Define whats going to be used as the std
    Define whats goign to be the performance product type tested..

Fuel it up.. check tyre pressures.. (between runs also)

Stealths roller repeat.. as do JBS's
    An alternative could be Raceshack on their new Mustang dyno.. repeats very well if reads a tad low IMHO.. but a before and after is just that..

Bring it on..:thumbup:

6. P1PRX Forum Member

I have no problems with Stelth...as i said in my last post I think I would like them to set up my own car.

But... If you was to choose someone to sherch a county for wepons of mass destruction..would you want George Bush doing it the the or the U.N??? get my drift??

7. edc1 Forum Member

It doesn't matter if you are there watching what they do and asking qus and everthing is done the right way ...

8. prof Forum Addict

hee hee, JBS is nearer anyway so i'm not bothered

Bill

boggo 16v mk2 151k miles on it made 158bhp last time at stealth after careful setup, would that be a good motor of choice

and George bush knew that they had weapons of mass destruction because his dad sold them to Saddam during the Iran Iraq conflict ;)
    Edited by: prof

9. pipercross New Member

It would be very interesting to do such a test, but Bill is right, It could do with being a O.E spec car, as this will remove the posiblity of other mods clouding the results.

Also the rollers need to be trusted by both sides of argument. If we can all agree on a car and venue, then lets get it on.

10. prof Forum Addict

mine is OE spec,except for a 6 year old coked up magnex exhaust, either last time at stealth the rollers over read massively, or it is just very loose now

11. pipercross New Member

So is car mysteriously powerfull, or is it the RR?

This is the problem with rolling roads. This is why we take the average of 3 runs.

12. prof Forum Addict

yeah but it's the before and after run that is in question, so whatever it makes if we do 3 runs on the OEM air filter then 3 on the go faster one we will get honest results?

13. mark25 Forum Junkie

6 runs -> A B A B A B, with the operator 'blind' to the A B situation.

14. pipercross New Member

That makes for a lot of taking induction kit off, putting airbox back on etc!

15. badger5

I'm not questioning Stealth accuracy..
    Leon Cupra R's, in std form read over std fugures on the RR's I've attended.. Does that make the rollers optomistic or the engines ovr spec.? (worms, cans everywhere)
    JBS last time ran std Leon Cupra R's they ran std power..

The point really is are any of them *accurate*.
    What would be seen, so long as runs would repeat which is an important bit, is a before and after figure..

Read x before and x+? after.. QED.. results.

Is this a test of panel filters or induction kits?
    Test car may influence whats available.

Stealth is as good as any for repetition in my experience.. JBS have no axe to grind either.. and or Raceshack on their new Mustang dyno (which also repeats well)

Does this make sense?
    bill
    :)

16. badger5

Does'nt have to be this way and will add more variables for no benefit.

3 runs std
    3 runs other filter
    3 runs std
    3 runs other filter

Results would be trusted then surely.

bill
    Edited by: badger-bill

17. pipercross New Member

In my time at Pipercross I have had some good and bad experences with Rolling roads. The main problem is the calculation of the BHP at fly wheel. I always use the @wheels figure as this seems far more relistic. I have read many articles on how they calculate the @the fly wheel figures and to me it just doesent ad up. You just have to remember that is just a calculation and not the actual power output of the engines
    Edited by: pipercross

18. prof Forum Addict

so to make this doable, we'll need an induction kit or panel filter to borrow from you pipercross chappies, early 16v small airbox

19. pipercross New Member

Sorry, I realy don't want to just give you filters and you go a way and test them.

An idea would be to have a rolling road day so we can all meet rolling road our own cars, have a laugh and joke, but also do the filter test.

We would do the rolling road in the Northampton area.

Does this sound interesting.

Prof I dont think the test on you car would be a good idea.

I like the idea of testing a 1.8T, as most of the arguments on intakes seem to revolve around this engine.

20. badger5

Northampton motorsport perhaps then..
    Been there.. ran off their clock ... LOL beat their rollers.. LOL anyhow..

1.8T will have more repeatability issues from intercooler heatsoak.. agree its a good motor to test (particularly your VIS unit)
    JBS have good cooling fans for 1.8T's, better than Northampton m'sport had (last I was there)

Stealth log induction temps during the run as well as boost etc with vag-com so full data can be achieved. (same can be done @ JBS)

If you want to see how Stealth operate.. there's a RR with a whole bunch of Seats on 5th December. Come down and see for yourself how they conduct things.. Vince is a reliable no BS guy.

choice of vehicle needs to be agreed as does product which will be tested.

regards
    bill