aldi compressors 79 sunday 13th

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by pigbladder, Mar 11, 2011.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

mine came ready filled ...should have a glass inspection hole about 10p size , then a red dot in the middle , the oil should be up to the dot

will look later what spec oil

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

SAE30

3. TJ2727 Forum Member

I really do think these small compressors are a bit of a faf. Too small CFM wise to run anything for any sort of time and with such a small tank the motor is kicking in all the time and when they run the guys living next door will soon take a dislike to you.

I would say that these small compressors are ok for blowing up a flat tyre or for some light work but you will get hacked off with the noise.

4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

my neighbours play music till 4 in the morning so who give a s***:) they are fairly noisy but used during the day i cant see many folk complaining
    they do have their uses though to be fair,not just for fixing cars,ive used mine for all sorts,blowing dust out the computer,cleaning the filters on the hoover,i even used it to make loads of bubbles in the bath for my son<we didnt have curry that night :lol:

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

theyre all alot of people can afford or store ...sure 1000 worth would be awesome but average joe cant store it anywhere or justify having it

for what they cost theyre good , makes light work of blowing poop out of bits n bobs , and you wont be running it for many minutes so who cares how loud it is

6. TJ2727 Forum Member

Not saying in any way that they are of no use, just that they are only really suited to the odd occasional jobs. Just as you say cleaning out a Dyson etc.

And that IF you were to buy this for some bigger projects then you might well end up disappointed.

No need to spend 1000 but a few hundred spent at Machine Mart would give you something that will last for a lifetime, and would do the jobs you may have had in mind.

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

have you got one of these compressors

8. TJ2727 Forum Member

I don't have an aldi one but have used the SIP / Machine Mart like spec ones a few times. I have got a 18cfm with a big tank (200L) And I would say that at times even this feels like it could do with being bigger.

So long as you know these small compressors are not going to enable you to run any power tools that need a large CFM. Like the guy said who went to use a die grinder it only ran at speed for 30 seconds.

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

The duty cycle on the small compressors will also limit their use with tools that require a largish air supply, especially with the 25l tank.

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

so you cant really comment on what it can and cant do then,its not just best suited for cleaning dysons out and other small jobs,its capable of running an air ratchet and a spray gun,ive used mine to spray a door and wing and never gave up,albeit kicking in oftern but never run out of air,also 1/2 inch air ratchet to do some suspension work
    so for the price theyre pretty good id say

11. TJ2727 Forum Member

they did publish a spec ;) and that spec is the same as the ones I have used.

So we totally agree with each other. I said it would not be up to big jobs with out it running lots to keep up. and you have said you have painted a door and it managed, BUT did run a lot.

this and the fact that one guy had his not even work but put out a big spark I would say is not a bit of kit I would recommend to a friend. If a friend was to ask I would say either pop down and buy a clark unit of the same sort of size and don't as you say use it for big jobs. and or pop down to my place and use the big one when you have a big job.

Tom

12. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ok well if you have a budget of 80 quid and you live near aldi and you havent got a mate you can "pop down" to that has a better compressor ,i recommend it:thumbup:

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

lol no one said its the ultimate crompressor , its a cheapie begginers one thats better than a kick in the nuts and has 3 yrs warrenty all for the price of a tank of petty

14. seanr68 Forum Member

Used mine with allsorts of tools, from an airbrush to "touch in" little bits of paint, to a "britool impact gun", and "air chisel."
    Yep, the 24L tank isn't massive but, thats great because my garage isn't massive.
    And from the people that have had them, only one's gone "bang". I've had expensive tools that have only lasted a few months before getting a replacement...and they cost a lot more than 80.
    To be fair, i dont think anyone who buys this is under the illusion that its capable of doing all jobs well. But, it is a great hobby/home mechanic compressor and you're not paying in excess of 500 quid, like you would from machine mart for one with "slightly better spec.

15. ThE_gOg Forum Member

just picked one up from aldi bretton in peterborough if anyones still looking for one, they had about 6 left when i went in.

none in the other aldi in peterborough though so don't waste your time.

i already have a set of sip tools that i used to use with the comps from work, this will allow me to use the majority at home.

cheers for the haeds up:)

16. TJ2727 Forum Member

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

still really happy with happy with mine

but thanks for the great post

18. seanr68 Forum Member

The fact is: THESE COMPRESSORS ARE NOT MEANT TO RUN HIGH CONSUMPTION TOOLS!!
    Jeez, they are a HOBBY compressor. The guys in that link are trying to run high consumption mechanics tools, what do they expect??
    You'd not buy a mondeo and enter it for F1 would you?

My compressor will run, a good quality impact gun(capable of removing wheel nuts), an air wrench, an air chisel, obviously it will do the tyre inflator and blow gun.
    For 80 you cannot go wrong. mines in good order and had lots of use during the ABF install and front end rebuild on my Mk2 last year.