Alternator tensioner, gone? Is it needed?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Todd Motto, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Todd Motto Forum Member

BAM 1.8T inside a MK2 Golf, so the power steering and aircon have been deleted. But - the alternator tensioner is also gone. Is this correct?

photos of my car, which is just a simple loop without any tensioner (the belt feels tight):

319287A0-4C1B-4B81-96CF-7A7ED03EF0F0.jpeg DD945FCD-8792-425A-9440-B91D0D24A643.jpeg

reason I’m asking is because I saw this online and wanted to confirm what had been done to the car was correct or not:

2D8ADB0B-6FD4-45FA-8F3D-418041173ECD.png

I’m not sure if I need the tensioner or if anyone else has removed it. I’m also not sure how the previous owner fitted the belt with no tensioner and the belt is tight. Any help appreciated! Thank you.

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I run a Mitsubishi with no tensioner for the alternator and never had an issue.

Took a couple of attempts to size the belt for best tension.

3. Todd Motto Forum Member

6PK905 is the belt I’m running - seems okay on the 1.8T with no tensioner. ‍♀️

KeithMac likes this.
  4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

It's a 6pk1000 I run on my GTO, Gates Micro V.

Some modern cars do not run tensioners from the the factory iirc.

5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Sure i kept the tensioner on my conversion, just removed the a/c and pas pump then fitted short belt.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

They do and mostly a pita to fit, they're 'stretchy belts' tho. Come with a load of special tools to wind on the belt , which are mainly crap too (Ford)

KeithMac likes this.