Am I missing something? Rocco 16v shafts = MK2 Golf

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by rubjonny, Jun 30, 2008.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I dont think this works without some shaft modification, iirc you cut the ends down a touch and machine a new circlip groove? not 100% on that. Other thing you can do is fit the 1.6 box flanges to the 16v box :)

2. Sciroccotune Forum Member

Thanks for that, just got a bit confuzzled reading the post, That was my original plan just use the 1.6 flanges[:D]

3. prof Forum Addict

mk2 outer cv was longer than the outer CV on a pair of caddy mk1 shafts i had. Now whether they were the correct ones for a caddy I don't know, were just a rash scrapyard purchase, when i was trying to find a stock vw shaft that would allow 02m into mk2. [didn't help]

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

GKN 302175 transpires as a common outer CV joint for Mk1 cabrio 100mm shafts, Mk2 Golf GTI and also my N-reg Passat.

These have all been supplied separately, and the numbers on the boxes are the same, rather than it being catalogue reading.

I changed an outer CV on a Mk1 cabrio 100mm-style shaft last weekend and measured the joint that came off, which I assume was OEM, against GKN 302175. If anything, there was a 1mm difference in the distance from the base of the CV stood on a bench, up to the bearing face that touches the wheel bearing.

302175 fitted fine into the back of a Mk1 hub.

Probably time for a summary of where we've got to on this thread!

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think so far my summary would be 'round and round in circles' :lol:

6. Ryan_Pestell Forum Member

so whats the summary? lol