Another project I don't need

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Lol no worries. I would have thought you would have found an answer in 4 years.

Seat top cover is 06A109108H 15.20 from Seat.
    And you need another bit too 06A109147F 24.70 from VW.

You can also use a Passat/audi a4/a6 top cover but they have a weird bump on them, so doesn't look as good as the Seat one.

2. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

To be honest I've not really looked into it but was always worried a stone would get in that hole one day. I will get them ordered up. I take it the Ibiza doesn't use the side mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Lukeybabes Forum Member

The ibiza uses the same mounting system as the mk3 Golf

4. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Finally finished removing all the sound deadening front the floor, doors, rear quarters, boot, scuttle, and roof.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Removed the old fuel filler neck bracket and made another rust hole in the inner arch. Another bit to fix. Drilled most of the spot welds from the inside because it was just easier to get access.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I removed the structure from the sun roof panel so I can use the skin to fill the hole. Should look ok once fitted and I've filled the gap with silicon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need to buy some welding gas before my next update.

Sirguydo likes this.
  6. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Silicone sealant will go mouldy best to use a polyurethane body sealant like Sikaflex. I have to say I do prefer that method to plating over it and using filler given the flexing that can be seen behind the sunroof when last door is shut.

Lukeybabes likes this.
  7. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks. I have some Wurth bond seal that I was going to use. Think that is Polyurethane actually. That stuff should hold it in there even without welding it lol.

I've tried plating a sunroof before and the roof was all distorted afterwards. Never again.

Finite likes this.
  8. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Plating and rivets is what normal people do :thumbup:
    You're an abnormal perfectionist who can't help splendid ten times longer than anyone else does to get it just right lol
    You're going to have a show wining track car that you will sell before it goes anywhere near a track to be spoiled lol
    But Luke we love your hard work carry on showing us up dude :thumbup:

Lukeybabes likes this.
  9. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Haha thanks. I was actually thinking that to myself earlier while grinding off all the pins that used to hold the wiring and carpet down inside. I even got the dremel out for a few to get them nice and flat.

A big sheet and pop rivets aren't very aesthetically pleasing though.

It will get tracked I swear. lol

10. G28OPN Forum Member

If you say so. lol

11. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Almost finished up the rear arch repair. Just need to seam seal, paint and underseal it. Not the prettiest job underneath but its solid now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I welded in the sunroof panel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

beetie likes this.
  12. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Test fitted the cage now I actually have room without the sunroof in the way. I can make some mounts up now.

[​IMG]

Filled in the gap where I welded in the sunroof with some sealant, Should look good.

[​IMG]

And I seam sealed and primed the inner arch. I tried to mimmic the original finish but it ended up just looking a bit messy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sirguydo likes this.
  13. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Couple of little but time consuming things done today. Peeled off the masking tape from the sunroof.Painted the inside of the sunroof. Still need to add a couple of extra roof supports otherwise I feel like its going to make a racket driving at speed. Getting them off of a car being cut up local.
    I think it looks pretty good. Not perfect. But passable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welded up a couple of holes where I went through with the spot weld drill and welded some patches in the floor where there was a couple of rust holes. Looked like someone had screwed an amplifier to the floor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sirguydo and beetie like this.
  14. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I decided I'm going to raise the gearstick mechanism up inside the car so I had to remove the old bracket underneath and fill in the hole. Drilling out the spot welds under the car was horrible but I'm quite proud of the welds I got out of my cheapo welder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I'm trying to place where the fuel stuff can be mounted in the boot. I've got some nutserts to mount them but obviously the main tank pushes up against the boot floor so I need to place it where I wont be rubbing a hole in the tank. Might be ok here.

[​IMG]

I would be able to fit it here as the tank doesn't come back this far. But I'm not sure if having it this close to the rear of the car will be safe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sirguydo and nut 20v like this.
  15. beetie

beetie Forum Member

What about putting them in the spare wheel well.

16. Lukeybabes Forum Member

If the wheel well was flat I probably would. And even there, the tank is under it anyway.

I think I'm gonna do it like in my first picture. Will just have to figure out where I have space to have the nutserts poking through the floor. I don't like the idea of it being right at the back now I've thought about it more.

17. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Started on the roll cage mounts this evening. Didn't get too far as I ran out of weld through primer.

Here are the plates for the brace bar mounts. Started with these because they are simple.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then the B pillar mounts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I decided on the positions for the fuel pump etc and drilled the holes.

[​IMG]

18. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Cracked on with the roll cage mounts this evening. The rest of it should go together tomorrow.

Folded and cut the B pillar mounts. Proud of these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tacked them in place so I could put the roll cage in to mark the bolt holes for the feet

[​IMG]

Drilled the holes and welded on the nuts

[​IMG]

And then I had to cut holes in the floor so the nuts can sit through them.

[​IMG]

19. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Roll cage is in! Finally!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member