Any quick ideas? (updated AGAIN!!!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by TheSecondComing, Nov 30, 2003.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I'm going to try unplugging the coolant temp sensor tonight, and see if that makes a difference. Can't see how the airflow meter would have gone faulty "just like that" but it might be worth having a look at anyway.....

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Going to try changing the in-tank pump tonight as well, the main pump had been a bit noisy recently so it just struck me that that could be part of the cause.... Also going to try disconnecting the ISV to see if that has any influence. Any further suggestions? It's going to be a busy night....... [:D]

3. iainand New Member

i pulled the top off my airflow meter today, the swipe area has 2 worn lines around the middle, if i hole the valve in this area the engine will idle fine, if a little high.

i can get the car to rev by twisting the throttle and moving the airflow valve myself, otherwise it just wont rev, or will slowly rise to 3k but no higher.

anyone know an approx price for an airflow meter????

thanks
    iain.

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Round 120 for a recon one, I think.

5. Golden Forum Junkie

Right my friend who died for our sins.

As far as I remember there is a relay for the digifant ECU, can't remember which one. If it was me I'd start by bridging the ECU and fuel pump relays.

Does the rev counter work? What you suggested sounds like maybe the ECU isn't getting a speed signal, but then you say the pump runs after stalling which suggests it not being cut by the ECU.I can't remember if the pump is cut by no speed signal to the fuel pump relay or no speed signal to the ECU, don't have a wiring diagram to hand.

Does it fade away or cut dead?

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Just changed the transfer pump,made no difference. By arsing about with the static timing I can get it to "blip" rev on starting (the tacho works fine)if I'm quick on the accelerator, but only for a second then it dies. It's not like an "ignition cut" dieing, more like a fuel cutoff...... going to change the fuel filter as well just because I have a new one lying there! It has me most confused at the minute.........

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Tried bridging the fuel pump relay so it ran constantly - no change. Going to try the same with the ECU relay just in case......

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Have you found out where they have bodged the fuel pump feed cut while taking the cat 1 off?

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Yup, found one of those! Poth pumps are whirring away. Tried bridging the ECU power relay - no change. Took the top off the AFM - all in good order, the right sweeping resistance and the vane moves freely. Tried with ISV disconnected - it wouldn't hold an idle very well, as expected. Haven't changed the fuel filter yet but I don't think that's the cause, the engine dies too quickly for that, it doesn't spluttter. Tried it with the coolant temp sensor disconnected - much harder to get it to fire, as expected. Doh, what more can I even check......... [:x]

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Thinking about it I might rip out the existing (working) immobiliser - it cuts the starter, but I'm thinking it may also cut the ignition after 3-4 seconds as a back-up..........
    But for tonight, it's valium/wine land from now on. Fed up with that fucking car......

11. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

My car's a cunt too. I fiddled about with the engine mounts tonight before retiring to my lair of music and copious amounts of alcohol.

Still, I won't go too overboard. Some of us actually have to go to work, you know?! ;) :lol:

12. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

ok i can't bear it what age is the car tsc? i have a 8v loom for a 91 lying in lockup you can have if only coz we cna't have you sad with your birthday approaching!

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

She's a late 1990 - you have PM enigmatik....... ;)

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I might try swapping the fuel pump for the one from the red scabby beemer, just in case that's it...... still suspect something else though. Probably something really obvious that I'm looking straight past...... it does have petrol in it, BTW..... :lol:

15. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

17 days holiday for christmas is entirely reasonable. I need a break, you know? :lol:

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Sound as bad as the g/f, works in a school and gets 13 weeks off a year wtf!

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Lol - my company are very flexible...... lots of public holidays, up to 30 days a year leave to be taken when you want, and flexi-time as well so you can build up extra leave days.......