Anyone done a clutch on a TT Quattro?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GVK, Feb 13, 2009.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

My friend who has his own workshop (wheel free ramp etc) just dropped me a message asking if I'd done a clutch on a TT Quattro ..... which I haven't

Anyone actually done one can lend some advice please, cheers :thumbup:

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Hi garry, be prepared for a heavy gearbox with very little clearance due to transfer box

I'v recently had my engine and box out, basically i'v attempted removing just the box but gave up as i didnt have long enough 6mm allen key to undo internal bolt and remove transfer box

Oversize turbo and 3" downpipe didnt help in my case

Anyway after doing usual like disconnecting driveshafts ect you will need to remove transfer box bracket and try removing box with t.b. still attached

Failing that remove the transfer box and it will be whole load easier

Like i said above you do need long 6mm allen key, prob about 200mm long, 1/4" long ext should do the job with 6mm hex bit on the end of it, access hole is only about 15-20mm in diameter

As for dual mass flywheel clutch set up i cant offer any advice as mine is one piece billet flywheel/paddle clutch

Here you can see clearance, or lack of it between T. box and turbo

[​IMG]

And here you can see the hole on inner cv flange for that awkward internal bolt

[​IMG]

3. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

Gary, its a b1tch of a job. That box is propper heavy............... Make sure he has a transmision jack.

4. GVK

Cheers guys, I've sent him a link to this thread.

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

transmission jack ! it's basicly a 02M box, we normally have 3 to lift out & transmision jack gets in the way.

if it's up on ramp, for the ease of access sub frame off, transfer box off (haldex is at back - on rear diff)
    propshaft off
    sambo is right one hell on a long 6mm to undo the securing bolt (middle of OSF flange)

DM fly wheel should have about 35mm side to side (rotational) movement & 2mm top to bottom. I THINK VRbannana had a like to the LUK website on check

then it's basic gearbox left, should be 6 hours book time in & out [:s] :lol:

I think the earlier DMF are better as the newer seem to have issues Mrs Crispy's mk 5 is on it's 2nd replacement flywheel !! thats a unmapped TDI!

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

2nd replacement flywheel!!!

Why do all new(er) vag cars seem to be more hassle than they worth!?

I am glad you lads are confirming its a ***** of a job as i thought it was my amateur aproach towards the job

That and the lack of ramps[:^(]

If i red a thread like this before i took mine apart i wouldnt of bothered and would of booked it at my mates garage:lol:

7. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

Trust me it dont get in the way when your doing it on your own! :thumbup:

8. grovvler New Member

Thanks for the advice guys!! I am a Merc mechanic really... OK, you can stop laughing now!!

It was the 6mm bolt down the o/s flange hole I was missing!! Got it now!! I got a reasonable start on it Sat afternoon. I am hoping to leave the transfer box (my bad about calling it Haldex!!) hung in place while I remove the gearbox. Is this feasable?? I have done all the downstairs stuff - just got the selector cables, clutch pipe and top bellhousing bolts left to do in the morning...

9. GVK

grovvler, where did that come from Gareth??

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Grovvler, it could well be doable - worth a try, might even be easier than taking rest off

apart from transfer box, i think there a 18mm mounted behind there

nothing with being a Merc Mechanic, parents have a '55 E220 CDI, are they all slow and 35ish MPG ??

11. grovvler New Member

To Gary - it was low key and I thought I would not be noticed...

Job is now all done. I left the transfer box in place and it was all fine. The shaft that passes through is quite long but there was clearance to get the box off. I elected to replace the three green oil seals, and refitting was more tricky - took a bit of fiddling to get the two sets of splines aligned.

In the end I did the whole job single handed, if you don't count the pit jack as a helper!!

Nothing to be afraid of at all, in fact I'd rather do a few of these than replace that damn rubber half moon under the cam adjuster solenoid.....

Regarding the E220 CDi, yes they are a bit slow... It is a big car with a small engine after all... Failing air mass meters often make them even slower, but can easily be identified on automatics because the gearbox behaves erratically too.

12. altern8 Forum Junkie

Any tips

13. Admin Guest

As above, its the removal of the box that is the pain.

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've done couple VW's leaving the tranfer box in place, far easier. On some boxes removing the sub frame makes so much easier

15. Admin Guest

16. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Doesn’t matter where you get the parts from, the same part number is the same price irrespective of it being a VW or Audi dealers, but there are quite a few different flywheel bolts.

some come in the twin mass flywheels when you buy them in LUK, some don’t and you have to buy them separate, and guess what, yes those are the more expensive ones