Are 'SDI's' diesels any good at MPG on motorway? - Now looking at Polo TDI's

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by G-Man, Nov 30, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ive just advised my ex to ditch her mx5 as it's not practical and she needs better economy - pointed her in the direction of the 1.9TDI Polo's, or 1.4TDI's.

After driving an SDI caddy it put me off that engine forever!!!! way too slow. They may be too new but have you checked prices of bluemotion mk5's? they go forever on a tank

2. G-Man Forum Junkie

I would have gone 1.4 TDI again but after reading others comments and seeing the 1.9 TDI prices are in fact hardly much more for what I see is a more flexible engine, i think 1.9 TDI will be the way forward.

With some Polo 1.9 TDIs coming in at 4k and mk5 Golf 1.9 TDI SE (105hp) at 5,500 I think couldn't justify the extra 5k+ to get a bluemotion as the cheapest I found on Autotrader was 10k with 48,000 miles.

Something like this Golf isn't too bad

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1364236.htm

But I would pay this for this Polo GT TDI

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1324451.htm

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

crikey didnt realise mk5's could be had that cheap. Everytime i look on autotrader I'm just disgusted at the prices of mk4's still and stop looking :lol:

bet that polo goes very nicely!!!

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

and 90% of yours are about fuel economy.....

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

what about the seat ibiza tdi one of the lads bought one 56 plate 20k on the clock 6000
    or a skoda

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

I know mk5 TDI SE's can be had cheaper than I thought and to be honest the specs of the SE's aren't too bad for a daily hack!

Mate has a Skoda Fabia VRS and it goes very well but compared to my mum's Polo that is the same 'bug eyed' shape as Claypole's the interior build and feel is of a far lesser standard.

Did consider the later shape Ibiza's but I just can't love the blandness of the dash and find the ride quality is nowhere near as good as my friends mk5 gt fsi.

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I have to say, I have been really impressed with every mk5 I have been in. Three different spec levels and in all of them the ride was spot on

8. nealey Forum Junkie

i.a.n.b went from a 1.4 3 cylinder diesel polo to a 1.9 gt tdi polo and noticed a significant increase in fuel economy on his daily motorway hack

9. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

I myself have a 1.4tdi arosa and am getting pretty much 60 to the gallon, mixed driving, averaging 385 to a tank for between 30 and 32ish.

Granted if you drive like an ar$e the consumption goes down and it'd be very nice to have a longer 5th gear, so that 70-75 is around 2k instead of 2.5k

The missus has a mk4 ibiza fr pd130, 6speed, very good in both respects, she can manage 480 and almost proved to herself recently that 500ish is achievable. so she's getting early 50's if i had it it'd be more.

A mate of mine has a mk6 polo GT also a pd130 also a 6speed (pretty much the same as the PH link above), he gets 55-60 easily. he's a bit of a mpg-nut.

What about an a2, they come in a couple of specs, a 75 3pot and a 90 3pot, and some of them have a 42 litre tank too compared with the 30 ish litre.

Cheers.

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

My old Arosa used wasn't exactely standard with a phase 2 remap, FMIC, decat, exhaust system and air intake system and was knocking over 100hp with 180lb/ft+

But the 5th gear let it down, and i've driven an A2 and for the price its very pricey. I didn't like driving them, too high up and didn't like the way it drove.

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

Update; going into a trader tomorrow morning hopefully to try and get a test drive in a Polo TDI Sport (PD100) that has come up at a dealer at a very good price but might have to trade the Mk4 for silly money :(

Anyone know the if the Polo Sport PD100 engine (think ATD code) has any know problems or specific issues over the usual 1.9 PD TDI engines?