Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by AWilson, Nov 26, 2016.

1. AWilson New Member

Copying this over from ED38 so hopefully it'll go to plan :)

Rightoo, so around the start of December I saw a Golf advertised about 3 minutes away from where I lived and within my budget, so popped up to have a look and bought it there and then.. Far from perfect but I was looking for a project to keep me busy.

Couple of my previous cars:

I took very few photos of the car when I bought it, mainly due to the awful wheels the car came on..

[​IMG]

Absolutely awful, I have no idea why anyone would have bought them??

Anyway, first things first It looked like there was probably a wiring fault in the past and it was somewhat bodged..

[​IMG]

So I set a few hours a side and sorted the wiring, grinded the battery tray back to bare metal and coated it in some paint.

[​IMG]

Because It was a 90s spec big bumper model with the plastic trims around the outside I was quite concerned about what they were hiding.. So set about taking all the trims off. As expected the results weren't ideal.

[​IMG]

I opted against welding the whole repair panel in because the rest of the quarter was in very good condition so I cut out the affected area and welded in a plate and gave it a lick of paint myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, not perfect but the whole point of this project is getting myself experience and practice, plus it'll be going for a full respray in a few months, just wanted it to not look out of place until then.

On to the next patch of rust, window out time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D2A3D532-0637-4B45-9D67-4B2B3B5BE91F.jpg

8D91C611-D79E-45D2-8774-A33C9A96A86B.jpg

Again, really not perfect and now its in a gloss paint I can tell the filler wasn't taken back quite enough but i'll address this later.

Wings came off and given a tidy up then under sealed. You might also notice a set of coilovers managed to find their way in too.

Weathers started looking up a little so decided to gave it a quick rinse, we're currently restoring a T25 Camper so doing a lot of sanding etc so constantly getting covered in dust.

DE09836D-9D1F-45A3-9F18-9F9569049120.jpg

052C0D4D-7631-417E-8DDE-ECB91F20A209.jpg

And the previously mentioned T25 and the daily..

43BAD343-A376-4D0F-9176-90D894B42191.jpg

That pretty much brings me up to where it stands today, done loads of small time consuming jobs that I haven't taken pictures off like the belts etc. Had a power steering issue too, turned out to be a split pipe which turned into a nightmare of a job.

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Welcome to the Forum ....nice wee project mate :thumbup:

3. AWilson New Member

Didn't manage to copy it over very well and my work computer seems to be blocking photobucket so i'll have to redo the lot when I get a few minutes lol

4. AWilson New Member

5. AWilson New Member

Had the car for around a year now, when I first got it the bodywork was very tatty and looked like it hadn't been looked after for a long time. I changed all the suspension parts fitting coilovers and new wheels at the same time. Tidied up a little bit of wiring but knew it wasn't a permanent fix.

After a few months decided to MOT the car, managed to get it through with a little welding that needed doing and all was well. Since this the car has done about 5 miles and been pulled to pieces again.

Pulled the engine out as the valve stem seals seemed to need changing and at the same time it could do with the gear linkages. With the engine out it made sense to do the timing belt, tensioners and water pump. Engine came out and the engine bay was sanded to bare metal, zinc primed and schutz'd to prevent any future issues. Decided at this point that i'd be painting the engine bay gloss black and everything else in there black or silver whilst hiding and tidying a lot of the wiring.

Trying to keep the bay looking as simplistic as possible and then a possible engine conversion somewhere down the line. That's pretty much where I'm upto at the moment. Missed out loads of detail and pictures but copying over from another forum wasn't working and it turns out to be one hell of a chore doing it all again!

At this m

6. AWilson New Member

7. AWilson New Member

8. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Nice project