Attention newbies!

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Buggirl, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Grant_mk2_abf New Member

Like wise the brains younger than the bones

2. Grant_mk2_abf New Member

It happens to the best of us lol

3. peterbarlow1

peterbarlow1 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello new to the forums and im into mk2 golfs alot and when browsing the forums i see paid member on some of the members what does this mean ?

Thanks for any replies given

4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Welcome
    Means you’ve paid £10 in the shop for a sticker , supporting this encyclopaedia of knowledge and a little extra access

5. peterbarlow1

Ok thanks that helps alot really enjoying this forum very friendly and helpful people just like above.

Cheers

6. BigBete New Member

just joined .. about to buy my 1st GTi .. need some advice

7. peterbarlow1

Hi, welcome to the forum any details on the car ?

8. BigBete New Member

2100 2 dr with 113k miles. CEL for intake sensor, was replaced along with entire intake. Anything I should focus on inspecting?

9. stufirth New Member

Good morning everybody, I've been a member for a while but haven't used the forum for a long time.

10. Andrew Waddell New Member

So I'm new here, but I've had a dilemma for some time...

I've not got the space, time or finances for 2 project cars, and I can't decide whether to build a stock campaign mk1 or go for lightly modifying a mk1. I equally love the look of both, what is the general consensus on here?

TIA

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think the decision would depend on the car you end up purchasing, a car with lots of service history and lots of its original parts would benefit from an original restoration but if you end up with a car which has had a lot of messign about then a lightly modified loom might suit better. at the end of the day its your call really, dont let anyone decide for you :)

12. Andrew Waddell New Member

Thank you for your response.

I think to try to keep an old car completely stock isn't taking advantage of aftermarket improvements that have been developed in the 40+ years since the car was released, so I'll probably end up going for some light modification.

What can you suggest as a decent engine / gearbox combo that suits the car well, I notice people generally prefer the G60 lump over the VR6, is this generally due to weight.

I used to drive a Corrado vr6 and just loved that engine.

13. rubjonny

one of the main reasons people dont put 6 cylinder engines in a mk1 is it doesn't mount up directly. few options, chop car up and modify chassis so you can fit a mk3 subframe, chop and weld engine brackets in directly, or you can buy custom subframe kit though this isnt cheap. usually it means custom driveshafts also so it soon adds up.

apart from that again its down to personal preference really. 2.0 8v engines keep it looking relatively standard, or theres the usual 16v swaps. G60 are getting expensive these days due to charger issues but can still get all the bits and rebuild kits you need at a cost.

if it was me, I would fit a 1.8 16v engine ,1.6 GTI short ratio box, scirocco 16v brakes, mk3 rear calipers with brake lines redone so they can sit the right way up, mk2 brake bias valve, 9" brake servo and 16v master, stock mk1 springs, boge shock abosrbers. Funnily enough, this is exactly what I did, though it was in a floppy top :lol:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...mk1-cabby-several-years-in-the-making.186766/

erreesse and Savagesam like this.
  14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

More fabrication required to get a VR6 12v or 24v to sit properly in an A1/MK1 chassis.
    Ready made bits are available to fit a EA390 to a MK1, then you either use your skill or someone professional to bring it together.
    Again depending on skill, there is the V5 20v that is almost drop in, then the usual 20vTs. Also popular is the TFSI EA113 with a DSG.

erreesse likes this.
  15. Dylan Street New Member

Just joined, bought my first MK2 gti 8v 1987 today black. Was hoping I could create a thread and document as I go along. Hopefully gain some knowledge from others?

is creating a thread something you can do, if so where do you go to create? Thanks

16. rubjonny

17. Dirty_Big_Bjelke New Member

Do you need to be a paid member to click through to larger size images in posts?

18. rubjonny

yes thats right :)

19. Mini1431 New Member

So just joined and checking in here.
    Black 2020 GTI S, picked it up in November, no mods yet. But soon will...
    I'm a newbie to the GTI and Mods, have been a Mini fanatic, 5 Mini's since 2003.
    Have to say I'm enjoying the change of scenery in my MK7.5.

Tristan likes this.
  20. Karl Morgan-Jones Paid Member Paid Member

404 not found?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2021