BBS RA Stock Tyre Size - 6Jx14H2 192ET33

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by topnotch, Jul 11, 2019.

1. topnotch Forum Member

Hi,

The wheels i have on my 91 big bumper gti are BBS RA alloys - marked 6Jx14H2 192ET33.

Are these stock size wheels and also what would be the stock tyre size for them?

I'm planing to get them refurbed and tidy them up.

Thanks, Mike

2. Mal C Forum Member

185x60x14

3. topnotch Forum Member

Cool - thanks - they originally (on this car!) came with a mixture of tapered and radius bolts courtesy of the previous owner - which ones should they be - i've had a look at the wheels, but its tricky to tell as obivously they have had the wrong type stuck in some holes.

Cheers

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

These are aftermarket, VW only offered BBS RA wheels in 13" or 15". They may have been ordered from the VW accessories catalogue but without the original documentation its impossible to know for sure. One clue would be if steel wheels are shown on your options sticker in the boot, normally a GTI would have alloy wheels as standard but when dealer accessory wheels are specified the factory builds the car with steel wheels then the dealer swaps them over once it arrives. Can decode your boot sticker here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/vag-option-codes-decoder-list.283422/

as for wheel bolts the dealer accessory 14" BBS RA wheels need M12x1.5x40. IIRC they should be ball seating but squidge a big blob of blutak in a wheel bolt hole then see what shape it comes out

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Vw offered BBS RJ (how fitting!) in 14in for early mk2s iirc. I've had a couple of sets, 4x100, stamped BBS and VW.

6. rubjonny

sorry I meant to say BBS RA only in 13 and 15", edited :)

Tristan likes this.
  7. topnotch Forum Member

just checked the codes from the boot - no mention of steel wheels, but glad to see i got the option of a steering wheel!

Whats the difference between RA and RJs?

Here are mine -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

PDF from BBS Archive attached - it lists all the cars it was available on - with tyre sizes. As you'll see, these varied from 175-195 depending on model

Attached Files:

9. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had a set of BBS RA 14" Alloys on my mk2 gti they came off a 1.8GL golf, tyre size 185/60r14 and taper bolts fitted these are longer than the standard radius bolts fitted to BBS RA 15" alloys

10. topnotch Forum Member

Yes - I had a closer look at them and I’m pretty sure they are taper bolts

11. rubjonny

taper bolts mean they are originally specified for a BMW or aftermarket sale, 14" BBS from the dealer accessory catalogue would need ball seat bolts.

bit of a pain, meas you have to have a set of standard bolts for your spare wheel as the BBS ones would be too long and in the case of non vw accessory incorrect taper!