Berryman’s Chem-clean is the business.

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Rustbuster, May 18, 2023.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

IMG_4959.jpeg
    Hi volks,
    Just a quick note on this Berryman carb cleaner, it’s fantastic! Have been trying to clean off hardened carbon from various engine components during a rebuild and tried all sorts including, gun wash, petrol, jet A1 fuel, with only moderate success. Petrol was reasonable with a scouring pad but not great. Pictures below of the dirty piston are after two days soaking in petrol and then scoured. Clean piston is after soaking in Berrymans for an hour and a half, then carbon and dirt just wipes off with a tissue. Incredible product, without I’d have never got the ring recesses clean. IMG_4955.jpeg

Attached Files:

costel1969 and Cressa like this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Holy fupping fup, that's a game changer.

No etching or anything to the metals?

3. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Do they do a bigger one for, say, complete engines? [:[]

4. Rustbuster

I know! One to dip an engine in would be just the job right. It is a bit pricey in the UK, got this 3 quart can off eBay for £43 delivered, which is steep but well worth it cos it works, been miffed if it hadn’t. Think they do 4 quarts for about £53 but comes in a refill container whereas the one I bought has a dipping basket in the can that I wanted. I’ve got loads of other parts to dip too so we’ll see how long it’s affective for.
    Instructions say it’s fine on aluminium but does say can erode very thin alloy coatings, I’m guessing like maybe on journal bearings so it limits to a 4hr soak time. But those pistons were in for an hour and a half and there’s no sign of etching on the pistons or rods anywhere nor on the journal bearings that went in too.
    I had it on my hands at times and hasn’t eaten my fingers away. I even got it on an elastic band that was holding a bag over the top of the can while soaking pistons and that’s still fine too.
    IMG_4961.jpeg

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    Cressa, pigbladder and costel1969 like this.
  5. Tristan

Could you dilute it, if you didn't mind a longer soak time?

6. Rustbuster

Maybe. Doesn’t give any guide lines as to what you could dilute it with. You rinse it off with water. I think the 4hr max soak is just to cover them for any liability. The rod bearings I put in with pistons were really worn on the upper surface which in the middle of the bearings fades out to mere microns. Think if it hasn’t eroded those you’re really safe. I’ll put a photo up tomorrow.
    Forgot to mention, it’s nothing like conventional carb cleaner (which I tried on the pistons, again with no real joy). This is much more viscous, more like a thin motor oil and no vapour so to speak of.Have to get one’s beak right in the can to smell it all.:thumbup:

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  7. Tristan

I'm really liking it.

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

thanks for the recommendation, got a pair of 45's to clean up. i'll get the smaller tin with basket.

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

wow, looks good stuff