Best Cam

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Admin, Dec 30, 2003.

1. atkinss Forum Member

I contacted Kent Cams today to see just what you get in the GS2HK kit. Very little is the answer...

GS2H Cam
    8 Hydraulic Tappets
    Cam Lube
    Instructions

Anyway, this raises a few questions.

1) What gaskets and seals are there in the top of the head that I should change when I renew the cam and tappets (apart from rocker cover gasket)?

2) Are there any other components that could be renewed within the head that could be renewed aswell (without removing the head, excluding valve springs and valve stem seals)?

Cheers

2. g60 pb Forum Member

If you buy a head gasket SET then you should get everything you need :) including valve stem seals.

Looking forward to seeing a few RR results in the coming weeks then :) I really need to sort my bottom rad hose out though...........

Oh yeah...never admit to agreeing with Tub ;):p
    Edited by: g60 pb

3. g60 pb Forum Member

Got 95bhp at the wheels at TSR, the operator said 'Its a bit flat at the top end' think he's right ;) A stock 8v did 85 bhp ATW. I'll probably invest in a RR session to set it up anyway fairly soon :)

4. Golden Forum Junkie

Explain?

5. Golden Forum Junkie

Exactly where did this piece of gospel information come from?

6. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

i think that tub means "in general" shorter stroke engine *tend* to get their power through revs, while longer stroke engines *most of the time* willl have greater torque figures through the extra leverage, so produce their peak at lower revs.

there might be one or two generalisations in there...

7. Golden Forum Junkie

LOL ok mate :lol:

8. Jettin' Forum Member

Read it in a book somewhere comparing the different types of injection system.
    Edited by: Jettin'

9. smithy Forum Member

Something is definately up mate, mine ran 97 atw with the stock GTi camshaft.

10. g60 pb Forum Member

Like i said time for a set up coz i've not had it done properly yet, I know the cylinder head is restricting though.....

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

How can you be sure it's the head Paul?

12. g60 pb Forum Member

you and I both know...........;)

actually it may not be, like i said perhaps its time to get it properly sorted on the rollers......oh yeah then theres the fact my air filter is clogged up coz its never been changed :clap:[8(] Got a K&N panel filter coming tomorrow :)

13. set_au Forum Member

Whatever cam you use, make sure you allow sufficient funds for chip tuning. A 125 HP capable cam is no good if you are only supplying it with 110 HP of fuel. It will just run lean at maximum VE so you will have to bring back the whole timing curve to stop it pinging at max VE, and there goes all your torque.

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Or use it on a car that doesn't need crappy fish and CHIPS to make it faster.

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

The head will hold you to 135ish at the flywheel, but I think you were even short of that....

Going to a S2 head & 203 cam has given me 21BHP at the flywheel @ Stealth. This gives an idea on how important good breathing is to make good power.

16. chrismc Forum Junkie

What does ure car make flywheel/wheels at Stealth Tub??

17. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Not had a run on Stealth yet.. but at TSR it made 132 at wheels.

Seems TSR and Stealth are reading wheel power accuratley now too.

18. g60 pb Forum Member

Does 143lbs/ft sound like a particularly high torque figure for an 1800, standard head, Tubs Kent cam (can't remember what it is, look back on this thread) and an induction kit? Its my G/f's brothers car, Tub knows the one, that figure sounds really high for the spec. He got 96 bhp at the wheels, this was at Euro Parts in Stoke

Found one of my problems anyway.......airfilter is absolutley KO'd....its full of poo (just like me ;))...
    Edited by: g60 pb

19. smithy Forum Member

Seems high for what it is, but mine made around 135lbs/ft with the standard camshaft, so its definately reachable...

Have you noticed much of a performance improvement with the new filter mate?

20. g60 pb Forum Member

Not fitted it yet, I'm picking it up tonight. I had a look at the one thats in there which is a cheap halfords special, ands literally black with grime....its not oily or anything, its just dirt. It should make a difference :)