Best donor for VR6 conversion into...mk2?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by GVK, Sep 16, 2005.

1. paul_c Forum Member

Yeah apparently, if you read everything on forums, the VR6 engine weighs 17 tons.

2. JasonBourne New Member

3. JasonBourne New Member

Have looked on e-bay and seen a few engines kicking about, although I know this probably isn't ideal. Does it matter which year/model the engine comes from. I know there are 2.8 and 2.9 versions and also obd1/2? Does that make any difference. I've seen a corrado VR6 on ebay (see above), but it's an auto.

4. Bundles Forum Junkie

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It doesn't matter as such, but IMO the post '95 'obd 2' engines are the ones to have. The ECU is faster/more efficient and these generally give more than 185bhp stock, the throttle body has a stepper motor control for the idle which gets rids of the ISV glitches that can be a pain on OBD1 cars

All the 2.9s are obd1.

I used an obd2 2.8 from a Passat as detailed in this thread. With a set of 268 cams and a couple of other cheapish induction/exhaust mods the engine made 211 bhp and 197 lb/ft at Stealth on Sunday.

6. micky1 Forum Member

Well i'm a valver convert.Love the noise.OBD 1 with 183 hp.handles great around combe.going to wide track and a few other mods like an oil cooler.

7. dubpeach New Member

what do ineed for a mk2 16v conversion to a vr6

hello mate can you tell me everything i need to convert my mk2 16v into a vr6 ie what parts gearbox running gear electrics etc any input would be appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup:

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Mate, start by reading this thread!

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

The best donor - Definately not a MK4 4-motion thats for sure :lol: :lol:

10. nec_gti New Member

hi sorry to go off the subject but i liked the look of the engine in the picture at the top. where would i find the black covers for my vr6?

11. vdub_1985 New Member

Mk2 Vr6 Conversion

Im About To Start Puttin The Vr6 Engine In My 16v Mk2 Golf, Think I Have All The Bits And Bobs I Need But Because This Is My Main Car I Could Do With It Being A Quick Turn Around Hopefully 2 Weeks Max. Do You Think That It Is Pushing It And Is There Any Main Problems I Need To Look Out For I Have Read That You Have To Take A Hammer To The Bulk Head Because Of The Size Of The Crank Is This True And All The Engine Mounts Are All Ok And The Vr Fits Straight In Many Thanks Paul