best intake for 2.0 8v ?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by concept, Oct 29, 2003.

1. concept Forum Member

i have had a lot of work done on my 2.0 8v engine for my mk3 gti, which a few of you already know the spec of.(its an AGG)

i have a modified intake manifold i'm gonna use when putting this tuned engine in my car, and it should be quite fast. BUT, i have another manifold which i would like to try some more adventurous mods on!

ideas so far-

* one throttle body, mounted at the front of the manifold to draw air in straight rather than 90degrees
    * two throttle bodies, one each side.
    or
    * two throttle bodies, both at the front facing forward

i know running two t/bs will require new management, that'll be getting done anyway. and i already have the other t/b, thats why i'm not opting for independant t/bs.

so what can i do with this spare manifold and t/b i have ?????

2. concept Forum Member

please?? anyone tried two throttle bodies??

3. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

No, but it's an interesting idea. I got an AGG MK3 8v too so i'd be interested in any tuning ideas.

4. H8SV8S Forum Member

I started this 2 T/b 8v thread ages ago - someone should just try
    it. However, why not get a cross flow 8v head and run it on T/
    B's?

5. concept Forum Member

hates v8s, i've already had the head worked on so i'm not gonna change for x-flow. i am now working on the manifold to fit two throttle bodies.

any suggestions from experience are welcome!

6. jimbo Forum Member

Hi concept

I have been looking in this for quite some time now.
    I have a spare intake manifold and O.E throttle bodies and am thinking of doing the two TB's to my 2.0ltr 8v.
    My car is an AGG bottom end with a PB head running digifant with a uni chip. My idea is two run two throttle bodies facing forwards to their own air filters and AFM's.
    I know this is difficult but i remember seeing it done on a ford granarda with a cologne engine. It had two bosh AFM's (digifant flap style) and two throttle bodies feeding the same intake manifold. But how you tell the ecu what is what with two AFM's iam not to sure. I think you must be able to trick the ECU in to thinking it has only one throttle body and reprogramme the fueling to compensate.
    As i remember from the old thread started by H8SV8S.
    H8SV8S said he was going to ask a mechanic/electric man to see if he could work some thing out but i didn't read if he had got any where with it.

I know we are talking of two different managment systems but i think we could get the basics sorted out. [:D]

7. concept Forum Member

i think you can get remapped to do away with the AFM altogether. this would be much easier. i'm wondering if you've got the same manifold as i have? here's some pics to show what i'm on about :
    AGG standard
    what i'm doing
    is this what you are trying?
    Edited by: concept

8. prof Forum Addict

TBH i dont think the throttle body is the restriction, the flow on an 8v will always be a bit poor, or if you get enough flow through big ports then slow gas speed will kill the torque

But then again why not, just look at what you are spending and look at alternatives first, sticking a stock 2.0 16v in will be better bhp/

9. concept Forum Member

hey jimbo, have you done any cutting and welding yet? how you gonna link the two throttles?

10. jimbo Forum Member

some good reasoning there prof :)

hi concept

i have a PB intake manifold which is the same as all mk2 intakes. it is longer in the plenum chamber than yours. I do have an intake manifold the same as yours but i was going to use my style manifold and mount the O.E throttle bodies as you show in your third picture "this".
    As for linking the throttle bodies i was going to make some linking rods for them so the throttle cable goes to the first and the linkage moves the second. That way you only need one set of electrics on one throttle body.
    Tell me more about this remapping and AFM stuff as I think that is my only stumbling block.

11. concept Forum Member

i was hoping you could tell me!!

i've not actually spoken to someone to remap mine, but another guy told me you can do away with the afm letting you run two induction pipes with two air filters! how cool would that look [8D] obviously they would have to be same shape and length.(unless you may be running a panel filter on the intake to the bodies)

i measured the clearance above the cam cover to the bonnet and i can't fit throttle bodies in the gap. they would have to be in front or behind the head. and would you run the two feeding all four ports or try blank off the manifold to have one feeding two ports each side?

i'm glad i've found someone to discuss this with :clap:

i also have a manifold like you describe but my injectors/fuel rail doesn't fit on it

12. jimbo Forum Member

Here Here [:D]

Iam not to sure about dividing the manifold. I think in my set up of forward facing on my manifold it wouldn't make much differance as the air all flows in the same direction. Where as on your left and right set up on your manifold it would be best as you wont have two air flows battling against each other in opposing directions.
    Try and find out from this mate or who ever it was about the NON AFM system as this sounds like its theory could be useful.
    Unfortunatly if you want to use the same intake as me you will have to change heads so you can fit the fuel injectors and you would have to swap the throttle potentiometer over to the throttle on the new intake as your AGG throttle wont fit.

13. ThePatyPlus Forum Member

A guy in the US I have been speaking to rigged up two TBs to his 16v, one at each end of the intake plenum he nicked of an Audi 5k (IIRC). It ran great, with very quick throttle response but he didnt run an AF gauge, it ran lean, and he melted a piston. He seems undaunted but wouldnt run the same setup again. FFS, if you do do this, make sure your fuelling is set to match using matched injectors, FPR or ECU rechip.

I'm doing a custom intake plenum at the moment for my digi ABA with a single large single-vane TB at one end of the plenum - lorra lorra work involved but its coming along well.

Email me at dja AT fearsome DOT net if you want to discuss/BS about these ideas at all (AIM: DanAdamsUK) since I'm not on the forums all that often.
    Edited by: ThePatyPlus

14. concept Forum Member

at last i'm back on! my fu ckin computer was playing up [:x]
    jimbo- i'm near edinburgh so i'll need to find someone to remap mine, if you had someone in mind to remap yours i should ask them about doing away with the afm.

what i thought of at first was to branch the two bodies off the one afm anyway but that would mean a serious custom piping job! with your bodies facing forward you could make up something like that?

regarding fueling, i'm gonna be running an fse adjustable regulator to richen mixture and may think about connecting a fifth injector if its still too lean.

i phoned a company this morning who said they don't do remaps on n/a cars cos they don't think its neccesary???

15. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

looking at the abf i have lying in the lockup it dosesn't appear to have a air sensor, I assume there is one there somewhere. but it means it would be an easier system thanthe digi on mk2 to use for twin throttle bodies.

16. jimbo Forum Member

enigmatik33 tell me more! [:D]

What is the abf and what was it in?
    What system does it run?

17. jimbo Forum Member

concept- You must of read my mind! i was thinking of rigging up the two throttle bodies to one pipe from one AFM but now it looks like enigmatik33 may be able to help with the soloution we need.

with regards to your fueling i would of though bigger injectors would do the the job better than a fifth.
    And find some one who knows what they are talking about when it comes to remapping. I bet they just didn't want to do it!

18. concept Forum Member

check out this cross-flow setup some guy from the states showed me. he runs it on a MEGASQUIRT EFI management

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[8D] [8D] [8D] :clap: :clap:
    Edited by: concept

19. concept Forum Member

ah something aint working [:x]

20. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

as far as i know the abf is a digi based system, but no airflow meter like the mk2, I think it uses a throttle pot and lambda prb. ask prof he'll know :)