Best route for 6 speed MK2?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Alan, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Alan Forum Member

Just about to have my MK2 box re-built and put back into my 16v with an ATB dif. Ive been thinking that at some point I would like to get a 6 speed box in and then it occurred to me that this could be the time to do it

What are the different ways of going about it, Im looking for a close ratio set up that is eventually going to be able to take somewhere just over 200bhp.

Edited by: Alan

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

To get a six speeder, you have no choice but to use a cable change 'box. Quaife is the obvious choice. Gemini: the cost doubles.

Whilst a sixth gear kit does exist for an 020 box, it's just an overdrive, not close ratio. You can get close ratio kits for the 5-speed 020 box.

For close ratio, you could try to get a low FD to make the gears closer and cheat your way round it for less. Depends how much of a proper gearbox you want.

Chris
    Edited by: Chris Eyre

3. prof Forum Addict

check out the ratio charts GVK posted, and have a look at ideal ratios for what you want to do, on track you wont be over 4th gear [unless at the ring] so a low final drive but higher 5th might do what you want cheaply

shop around for prices on box rebuilds,