Brakelight issue... weird!

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by mk3golf19d, Feb 18, 2011.

1. mk3golf19d New Member

Hi folks!

The missus has a mk 4 golf... recently the car seems to have this odd fault develop.

Basically with the ignition on, the outer sides of the hi vis light on the bootlid semi light up yet the main brakelights themselves don't do a thing. The bulbs have all be checked and replaced where needed yet still nothing on the rear units.

Any ideas cus i'm thinking it's either a wiring issue but i can't see how that would be the case or the pedal plunger / activator but again, why would the bootlid light work when pedal is pressed?

Really baffled by this one so... anyone got any thoughts, ideas, hints or tips please? Her MoT is due on tuesday and she's starting to fret about it... as some women (not all!) tend to do!

Many thanks in advance if you can clue me up!

:thumbup:

2. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

which lights? do you mean the side lights? I would be checking the bulbs fitted are the correct ones, and also check the earths

3. mk3golf19d New Member

ok... to make sure i'm being accurate here mate, and thanks for the swift reply btw, the only light that works when the peddle is pressed is the 3rd light, the bootlid one. the corner lights don't do a thing. i've just this minute got off the dog and bone to GSF and they're telling me this verison is a 4 pin plug so to me, logically, my thought is that something has gone awol inside the pedal switch unit (something collapsed and semi shorting itself out or cross wire effect maybe) and causing this to all go bananas hence this error... what ya think... sound about right mate?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

If there was a fault with the brake light switch you wouldn't get any brake lights at all, the bulbs are defo ok? I'd try new ones even if they don't look blown and also that the correct ones are fitted ie. someone hasn't put a single filament instead of a twin jobbie

5. mk3golf19d New Member

ok mate... will get that (bulbs) checked later on... btw... any thoughts on this weird 'part lit' 3rd light at all? why would that show on ignition do you think?

like i said, i have a feeling that 4 pin switch may have collapsed or something and it's tripping it's little botty off and causing this fault?

perhaps 2 of the pins are for the 3rd light, patially working, the other 2 pins are for the corner units, not working?

something really odd this... never come accross it before on any VW or BMW.

6. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

The brake light switch also sends a signal to the ecu hence the four pins, try unplugging it to see if it puts the third light out, I've seen wrong bulbs cause weird problems though like bringing on the headlamps when the brake is pressed [:s]

7. mk3golf19d New Member

jeez! now that IS weird! lol

ok, i'll get another pair sorted and try those but not expecting any changes dude... will report back tomorrow as i've got my MoT at 3.15 and other stuff to sort out beforehand.

thanks for the comments guys... speak later! :thumbup:

8. mk3golf19d New Member

We have a form of confirmation from my local VW stealership... they are saying...

make sure the bulbs in the cluster are single element ONLY as this could cause 'confusion' in the electrics... also the bloke's view is the same as mine... the 4 pin brake pedal switch has gone wonky... sending out the wrong signals yadda yadda.

so... bulb check and then hopefully... touch wood... problem solved one way or the other :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  9. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Change the switch mate. I had problems with mine with all 3 rear brake lights staying on or not working at all. They are cheap from the dealers, just over a tenner and easy to remove and replace.

10. mk3golf19d New Member

cheers Richard but... already done it mate... well, been and got one and 4 new bulbs for the sake of a few pence while i was at it! Great minds eh! lol Oh... maybe you can help me with something based on the same theme?

Reverse light switch... on the gearbox yes? According to the following link (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2950452) but... i'll be a dutchman if i can see the thing! Any clues cus it's a right crystal maze from what i can see unless... it's the one smack bang on the top of the box as you look from the bonnet end... but i'm guessing that's the gearfluid sensor or something else?

p.s. apologies if outside links aren't allowed... i'm not sure if they are or not :/

11. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely on top mate.

Found this one uk-mkiv's. - :thumbup:

[​IMG]

12. mk3golf19d New Member