BROKEN DOWN - 60mph engine died smoothly and now won't restart

Discussion in '8-valve' started by blu-tak, Sep 24, 2021.

1. blu-tak Forum Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  2. blu-tak Forum Member

Any preferred supplier for the vac hoses?
    Thinking reinforced silicone is the way to go.

I need to work out what dia they are too

3. blu-tak Forum Member

Shopping list to solve the problem & I'm hoping it's just the FPR is:

Vac hoses
    Fuel hose - (037133988Q) no 14 in below - Return
    Fuel hose - (037133990T) no 14A in below - Feed
    FPR - (037133035) - no 12 in below.
    Engine Breather - Rocker cover hose (037103493D)

Any shopping advice much appreciated - FPR seems a pain to find. I need one with the two screw eyelets on it.

upload_2021-10-16_22-49-29.png
    upload_2021-10-16_22-50-55.png

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

blu-tak likes this.
  5. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Great news on finding the source of the problem. It's an easy, but not cheap, fix!

I believe the original vw vac hose is 3.5mm id. I used some 3mm silicone vac hose that I had available, it's very stretchy stuff and there's lots of suppliers on ebay. Try to find some with a thicker looking wall and avoid the thin walled hose. Reinforced is not necessary.

For the fuel hose you need SAE J30 R9. R9 is the important thing. Either Cohline 2240 or Codan 3133 are good quality and suitable for the current E10 fuel. Their inside diameter is about 7.3 or 7.9mm, giving a good seal on 8mm fittings. A search on the internet will find it available at a variety of prices. Think about replacing any other oldish fuel hoses too for peace of mind.

blu-tak likes this.
  6. blu-tak Forum Member

mmm yes. The car is a 1990 8v PB - stock. I see what you have linked, I don't like the idea - I don't quite see how the stock FPR plugs into it, but it may be my only solution.

There is no way (not my skill) of separating the stock 'eyelet ears' onto a new FPR. They are manufactured together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fav parts supplier does have the item:
    https://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6166

7. blu-tak Forum Member

upload_2021-10-17_16-24-53.png

I'm wary of the part number change...

8. PhilRyder

The stock item doesn't attach to it. You have to use a different FPR and mount it remotely. You'll save money on the FPR and could be adjustable.

blu-tak and NateS2 like this.
  9. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I think we all wish that was the right part and the right price.
    037133035 is the correct part, the C at the end is only for G60.

Get ready to cry: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/037133035

Bosch is original obviously but obsolete, Fispa, Meat & Doria and S.I.D.A.T are all high quality Italian brands that have been making fuel system components for years. M&D specifically are very well know for repackaging other brands parts so you might end up with a NOS Bosch anyway.
    The other option is eBay where you can probably find a good used item, or go Phil's route and fit an external reg.

P.S. if you get it from Autodoc it will take a week or two to get here

blu-tak likes this.
  10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

bloody hell :lol:

for vac go to VW if you want original look, N 02035327 at £16+VAT per meter(!) otherwise silicone off ebay. the cheaper braided hose off ebay I found often degrades very quickly and you have no way of knowing at a glance since its all hidden under the braiding

blu-tak likes this.
  11. blu-tak Forum Member

Thanks Phil, tbh I don't really understand remote FPR. I think for my mechanical ability I'll do well to source and fit a 'stock' FPR.
    However if you have any links on how to do? Or further advice I'd happily read up about it.

12. blu-tak Forum Member

Thanks Nate,
    At this stage I think autodoc is my best bet. Never bought off them before. Bosch is out of stock.
    I think I'll just go for the Meat & Doria part.

I had no idea I couldn't run the G60 part, with the C on the end - now I do :)

13. NateS2

The G60 will have different pressure ratings along with actually being rated to work with boost, whereas the PB engines one is designed to work with vacuum.

M&D may be out of stock too when you come order, if it is they’ll probably email you and you can request a refund. Get “Safe order” it’s like £4 but it saves any hassle with returning anything. Also wait until Monday night you get the best discount, and if your comfortable with it use the app because you get another couple of percent off.

If that’s a no go @costel1969 mentioned Mister Auto which may be worth a shot too

14. PhilRyder

It's very straightforward. All you do is buy an FPR, for example a suitable one from here
    https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/motorsport/engine/fuel-oil-system/fuel-pressure-regulators/
    and the bracket I linked to above. You mount the FPR somewhere accessible in the engine bay. Then the fuel supply pipe runs to the FPR and from there to your new bracket.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  15. blu-tak Forum Member

It Arrived from Autodoc - approx a week.

No idea what the numbers mean - I did order the £143 Meat & Doria. It does appear to be German made though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. NateS2

Yeah they're actually an Autodoc brand, the M&D must have been out of stock so they substituted