Broken nolt in engine block

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Gerbertoyd, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Gerbertoyd New Member

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read this and cast your opinion. I have had a local mechanic take the cylinder head of my newly purchased mk2 1.6 driver. The head gasket had failed and was in rag order to be honest.

On the right hand side of the engine block between the bore of cylinder 3 and 4 there appears to be a sheared off bolt in the block. It appears to be filthy so I think it was previously broken. What does it do and would it be worth investing in a tap and die or similar ( thinking of just drilling it out with smaller drill bits.

Dont know how to upload photos currently

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hello there, got any pictures of this bolt?

3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

If the "missing bolt" is on the cylinder head, does he mean its missing a cam cap?

If so thats totally normal, if you google pictures of the cylinder head they are all the same

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

The only "bolts" in the block are the 10 head bolts - if it's one of them then your mechanic is to blame.
    There are two locating dowels - towards the front of the block - one on either side. Are you sure it's not one of these?

5. Gerbertoyd New Member

Hello all, only just seen this response and my mobile Mechanic had now returned. It appeared my block was crackeded aswell so that was replaced with a 1.8 block. My problem now is other than the mechanic I have a spark fuel getting to the carb, cranks but doesn't try to fire.