Built In A Barn: 4motion 450bhp Mk2 GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Seanrd, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Seanrd New Member

Thank you for the kind comments everyone! Unfortunately Ive been real busy with the day job so havent managed to get a great deal done on the golf over the last couple of weeks. Without that though thered be no money to do this. Anyway on with the update.
    Was feeling really brave late one evening so made my way over to the work shop and set to work welding in a couple of bracing bars ready for when I remove the rear boot floor.

You can see them here 30x30x3 box section, overkill really but better be safe than sorry.

[​IMG]

Really scary now.

[​IMG]

And a bit more gone

[​IMG]

And the jig is in! Needs to be lined up yet and tweaked but a basic first mock up position im very happy.

[​IMG]

Found this is Hobby Craft!! Had to have it, just need to find a 1:24 scale TT now to pull the engine and subframes from

[​IMG]

Metal delivery turned up this morning, so can crack on over the weekend getting the rear subframe mounts in position.

[​IMG]

Bit of light reading to do, think this is looking the most likely choice for management now as it seems to do everything I need it to without costing 1,000,000!!

[​IMG]

Who pays attention to that???

[​IMG]

Toyotec and AjVR like this.
  2. mikey-mk New Member

I found this out in the most unpleasant way, through the jeans into the old chap.......

I'll be keeping an eye on this, roll over jigs make life SO much easier. Keep up the brilliant work fella.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. Seanrd New Member

Update Time: 25th Feb 2015

Been very busy with the day job over the last few days so have limited time to get myself up the barn but managed to get a bit done tonight!

I need to start getting the roll cage in place before I cut any more of the shell out. First up is a tube connecting to rear of the chassis rails together. Managed to source for 2inch CDS for this which is ideal. Could have possibly got away with a smaller diameter but this will tie into the cage nicely.

Also removed the small brackets that were used in the factory for transporting the shells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made some re-enforcement plates out of 3mm sheet. The cage tubing will then weld to this rather than directly to the kit kat wrapper thickness chassis rails

[​IMG]

Was a bit tricky to create the curve for the drivers side chassis leg but we found a way..oxy acetylene.

[​IMG]

One in place

[​IMG]

And the other

[​IMG]

Quick coat of weld through primer to stop it flash rusting. Will tidy the welds up once the shell has been shot blasted.

[​IMG]

erreesse and Sirguydo like this.
  4. blis Forum Member

Really awesome work! Yes those wire wheels can be evil, specially when catching edges and biting!

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

tidy the welds up? they look better than what i can manage after tidying :lol:

6. Mjj4 Forum Member

Good work, I'd love to have the fab skills you have (and welding skills!)

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Enjoyed the progress so far. Very neat work :thumbup:

Gurds

8. Ozgti New Member

What happened to this build?

9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I wondered the same. It’s the reason I didn’t fit the TT running gear.

10. Ozgti New Member

I can get the rear end off a mk1 tt for 950AUD. I already have a vr6 02m from a 4mo. Need to know how this fitted together.

11. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

By the looks of it, he’s just fabricated the brackets a TT subframe would mount on