Burning oil

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rjscotty, Oct 27, 2003.

1. rjscotty Forum Member

I have a mk 2 8v gti digifant 1990 its burning a fair bit of oil is this likely to be the stem seals or the piston rings ? its done 128K

2. Pecker Forum Member

If it's burning all the time, then it's likely to be rings, but if it notices more on starting or puffs more when pulling away, then that points towards the stem seals.
    What are the plugs like and have you had a compression test done?
    What's a 'fair bit'?
    Have you tried different viscosity oils or maybe STP to slow it up a bit?

Gaz.

3. rjscotty Forum Member

havent tried any thing to solve it yet or done a compresion cheak but thats a great idea it burns oil most of the time you can smell

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Can you just smell it or can you see it from your exhaust?

If you can just smell it then it could just be a split breather off your head, if you can see it then it will be one of the above.

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

If you remove the cam cover you can clean out the breather pipe and wire mesh gauze thingy in there, that can cut oil use down a lot as it gets blocked.

My old 8v did the same and I cleaned it out, changed the oil and added some STP and it cut the oil use right down to normal levels. Failing that, like the others said - burning/smoke on startup = stem seals, all the time = rings. :)