CAE shifters..Any good?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by MK1G20VT, May 25, 2009.

1. MK1G20VT Forum Member

I was just about to place an order for a cae shifter for my 20vt mk1 I am building and after reading some info on different forums about them I am not so sure? A few people seem to think they will kill the sycros. Has any one got one or has had any experience with one to give me some feedback? I am using and o2j box (corrado g60).

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Can you point to the other threads? I suspect they're children talking about things they don't understand.

CAE shifters are 'around', but there's not many, so feedback is thin on the ground. I have PM'd someone with one to check how his is going - he races with one so comes at it from another angle, and I think he has a syncro box.

3. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Thanks Chris it would be good to get some feedback from someone who actually races with one. I forget the name of the forum, I typed in cae shifters on google and was having a browse it was an american forum though.

4. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Hi Chris just wondering of you had any news from your pal?

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd PM'd but no reply I'm afraid.

6. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Ok. Thankyou for trying.

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  8. MK1G20VT Forum Member

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Other types are available though - how much are the CAE ones?

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

might have a VW motorsport-type one for sale soon if thats of any interest

11. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Always wanted one of them for the Polo, but don't think there were that price when I first saw them a few years ago.

12. MK1G20VT Forum Member

They are around the 650 mark which is a lot of money for a shifter! What are the vw motorsport ones like? I have seen the ones Bildon do but they don't come with a tower or cables.

13. GVK

Just thinking about this, if the CAE shifter is longer than the standard lever... which it is...

The force exerted on the selectors will be more during shifting, won't it?

I had an extension on my mk4 shifter last year and I could 'beat the synchro' on many gear changes. Especially downchanging to 3rd if I was a bit lazy with H+T..... Took it off and it's been fine since.

14. MK1G20VT Forum Member

That is exactly what I have heard, you beat the synchro and over time it kills the box.

15. Dclarke Forum Member

Hi Guys - sorry Chris, been offline for a while. I'm running a CAE shifter in my MK1 20VT race car (02J box).

Initially the firm that fitted the unit said it was an absolute pain to install and the set up was very sensitive and took a long time to get spot on. Having said that, once up and running the unit proved very good - robust, accurate and clearly well built.

Unfortunatley, I wished I'd stuck with the standard MK4 shifter unit. I bought the CAE as a 'pressie' to myself after spending a fortune on work unseen by the eye (handling etc) and although it is a stunning bit of kit, I wish I hadn't bought it.

In terms of reliabilty, unfortunalty it doesn't get better. I've blown a box at Snet when I missed a gear on the down change and suffered bulking at Brands a few weeks back. Previous to the shifter unit going in I had a 100% reliability rate.

I'm in Kent if anyone wants to come and have a look or PM me if you want me to send any pics. Hope that helps and sorry it's not more positive.

Duncan.

16. Dclarke Forum Member

Have I done myself out of a possible sale?!?!?! It may be coming out of the car soon.

17. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Ha ha I am sure you wouldn't have done yourself out of a sale Duncan as they are a sort after bit of kit. What you have said does put me off having one a bit though. I always wondered why the likes of Reeves didn't have one in his and this is maybe the reason. For what they cost you would think that it would be engineered so that the box doesn't suffer.

Thanks for your feedback though.:thumbup:

18. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Actually while I am on here. What sort of power are you running in your car and how does the box hold up to it? I am going to be running between 350-400bhp and didn't know if I needed to get parts of the box cyro treated to harden it or change the gearing to vr6?

19. GVK

Solution = mk4 shifter, with a TT short shifter, if it needs raising, build a tubular frame for it.

20. MK1G20VT Forum Member

You read my mind.:)