CAE shifters..Any good?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by MK1G20VT, May 25, 2009.

1. Dclarke Forum Member

I agree - cost effective and perfectly functional. In terms of the 02J handling the power, it seems to be fine. My two box failures were user error (partly down to the CAE shifter though). I do know of other MK1/2 20vt's running the same box with 450 - 475bhp and no problems so I'll be sticking with it. I'm ony running 300 BHP but the usual plans for a'bit' more now the handling is sorted.

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Badger Bill will be putting 600hp through one very soon......and has already subjected them to 500 so its a safe bet to say that the 02a/j is pretty strong

3. 16vringtaxi Forum Member

Hi

Can someone please explain how these shifters mess up the syncro?

I thought all these shifters do is move a couple of cables and not put extra strain on anything..

Thanks

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

motorsport shifters are designed for dog boxes... so why would you be surprised when you are only doing 1/2 the job?

5. badger5

people rushing their gearchanges where the boxes are'nt ready to shift due to synchros not being ready (or worn).

crunching past synchros would be just as possible with std shifter..
    only thing I can think which would make things feel more positive on the motorsport shifter is where uprated cables with rod ends are used as they are positive zero slack, vs rubber bushed ones of stock, which might take a little biut of "snap" out of excessly fast lever moves.

my theory anyhows :lol:

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

To me, they're a re-work of a standard shifter with no flex. That means the user can sit on the syncros a bit harder. That's about it.

7. badger5

the closeness of the gate of these shifters has always worried me..

one real reason i stuck with B&M shifter on badgerwagen... would be on SQS shifter if combe regs allowed it tho.

its too easy to grab the wrong gear when in the heat of competetive racing

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, agree though a separate issue.

The wider gate of a Mk4 shifter is, on the face of it, a safer option.

What's different with a B&M? A short shifter, or one with uprated stick bearings?

9. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Thats good to know. Cheers for the feedback.

10. MK1G20VT Forum Member

The box I have is from a corrado and I also picked up the cable shifter from the same car. Is there any difference between this shifter and the mk4 one?

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Putting this up just for interest - a CAE in a Merc 190 Evo at the 'Ring, ie they're obviously not just used for VWs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. nass Forum Member

13. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Only just found this! I'm running a CAE shifter on my mk1 with an 020 2y box, setting it up is a little tricky but not too bad, I got mine second hand and the cables that come with the kit and the routing CAE recommend is poor, I got new cables made by Hindle controls (OE suppiler to CAE and 1/4 of the price) I routed mine as straight as possible and is much better, I love the feel of mine now although initially it did take some getting used to how close the gate is. It is adjustable in throw so can be made longer or shorter, I run mine on the middle setting. Time will tell if it kills the box but TBH I don't care because I just love smashing it through the gears! [:$]

14. murph81 Forum Member

How are you getting on with the CAE shfter these dats Mk1-Tron?