Cam?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 'VRL', Mar 20, 2005.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Sold the 8v Phil....

Now got a black valver on ITBs thanks to Matt Drew... [:D]

199BHP & 158lbs/ft.......Lovely!!! ;)

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Just 1 bhp to go to the magic 200 eh Chris?! I finally got my 2.0 8v (that I was pestering you for info on ages ago) on the road

Oakgreen88 hasn't finished his X-flow build yet, but will have lots of info nonetheless. He had to have the head machined, but I can't remember if that was just because he's running a very hairy schrick cam (+ converted the head back to solid lifters) or if there was something about an oil or waterway not lining up properly.

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

In an otherwise standard 1800 8v i can reccomend a Kent GS2H.

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

:lol: Yes Mike..it seems determined to sit just below 200BHP...

Ive found a couple of things since though...manifold was blowing where it goes 4-1 in the collector box & a couple of other exhaust leaks so im sure its got a wee bit more in it...

Bottom end only has about 5K on it too...so my main priority is to get some miles on it & organise a baffled sump before my next track outing.. :)

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

VRL, my 2.0 8v has a Kent GS2H in it, and a ported head with 35mm exhaust valves, which should help it clear out better at higher revs... I've heard it said (but haven't run one myself) that the standard size valves will cause it to run out of puff above about 5k revs.

I'm still running the engine in, and it hasn't been set up properly yet, but so far it seems to have lots of bottom end and mid range, and is really climbing on the cam at about 3.5K, just as I'm changing up. I'm on self imposed a 3.5->4k max rev limit at the minute (and trying not to use more than half throttle to keep the engine loads down.)

Oakgreen88 is currently running his 2.0 in with a previous head, as he rebuilt the bottom end and wants to loosen it up a bit (running it in with a 4k rev limit isn't totally practical with a 304 degree cam).

6. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Of course, the best cam mod you can do is to add another ;)

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

33mm exhaust valves become very restrictive as soon as you up the capacity on an 8v....

Even on a standard 1800, power peaks at just over 5K & it hits a brick wall @ 5500..

Id go so far as to say a Stage 2 head would be a better investment than a hotter cam on an 1800..

8. chrismc Forum Junkie

:clap:

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's what Ian (IV mk1 16v) Is telling Karen (turbodubgal) in THIS pic

"See , mine's got another lumpy stick here":lol:

10. zoid Forum Member

What sort of gains would you see with a standard cam in a stage 2 head?

11. VR6Will Forum Member

hello everyone!

just wanted to add my experiences with an 8v, currently im running a 2l 3a bottom end on a gas flowed and ported digi head with a TSR202 cam, does go quite well but does run out of puff towards the top end, on an 1800 it was fine, but a 2l i would recommend getting enlarged exhaust valves!

the next step for me on the 2l bottom end is the x-flow head with enlarged inlet and exhaust valves, and 1 stupid cam!! [:$] TBs and DTA management, i got the TBs yesterday and ordered DTA so should be running soon! my current gas flowed and ported head, superchip ecu and gasflowed inlet manifold may be up for grabs ;)

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

Not sure on the gains....but suffice to say mid-range & top end will be improved...

Revviness specifically, due to the improved breathing...& of course other mods such as a 4 branch, flowed inlet & hotter cam would all work hand in hand to take advantage of the heads' increased breathing ...

An 1800 with the above mods would make circa 140BHP with around 130lbs/ft torque IMO..

13. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Are you going to be at the meet in chippenham this wens maccers? I fancy a nose!