Can you clean the Coolant expansion tank

Discussion in 'Engines' started by altern8, Apr 10, 2009.

1. paultownsend Forum Member

completed this mk4 tank conversion today.
    with a few new clips, hose and g12+, it came in at under 25!
    the brackett had to be modified slightly, but it looks 10x better. even managed to hide the overfill hose

2. MarkP

MarkP Forum Member

dont't let the temperature get aabove 37-40 - using temperatures above this will denature the enzymes and they serve no purpose so if they have some kind of action here don't let it get above that temp (Same goes for your washing by the way!)

I vote for non-bio - less likely to give you itchy skin too lol :lol:

Are there aftermarket ones of these in stainless say with a glass viewing window for levels like in a kettle or is the fact that it is pressurised when coolant warms a problem?

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dont think it makes a difference, the only thing we usin it for in this instance is to disolve oil :lol:
    the powder might have a slight abrasive property to loosen off crud, but i dont think it will stay solid long enough for this effect to be noticable

4. Tall Paul Forum Member

5. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I've got the Mk4 tank fitted to my track car, it's not a direct fit as the Mk4 tank has a round section sticking out of the bottom to help support it rather than the rectangular one on the Mk2 tank that slots into the bracket. You can cut a round hole into the Mk2 bracket and it should fit ok. If you have an Eibach strut brace it will cause clearance issues so a new bracket was made to move the tank back and down a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd previously trimmed the wires to the tank sensor when i rewired my car so i needed to extend them. VW sell wires with the correct terminals already crimped on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks good when fitted and the overflow hose can be re-routed neatly round the side rather than over the gearbox

[​IMG]

6. paultownsend Forum Member

good bracket you made there. bet you could knock a few of them up for sale. got all the plugs/connectors too. from vw and local electricians

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

not sure if the mk4 bracket will just swap over?

8. paultownsend Forum Member

i think there welded. late ones are anyway. kind find them on etka. RJ, over to you....

9. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

the new tank bolted straight onto my jetta which uses a Mk3 Golf bracket, no mods req

10. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

Caustic Soda BUT be very carefull.

11. deepdishtj Forum Member

is there a better volume of water in the mk4 bottle?

12. paultownsend Forum Member

i think they do, as there hollow. the mk2 ones have a sort of chamber inside, and the water gathers up the sides. plus, there nice and clean :)

13. crayon Forum Member

I ran my washer and water bottle through the washing machine last night with rice, bycarb in pillow cases and washing powder, wirked a treat, not perfect but a hell of a lot better