Captive nut Mk2 Golf GTI

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Cipher, May 10, 2012.

1. Cipher Forum Member

One of my captive nuts that holds the subframe in, the thread in the nut is completely shot. I've pulled back the carpet, cut a flap so I can get to the nut easier and can see it. As it isn't spinning it is still attached to the car. What is the best way to get the nut loose? I've replaced a couple of captive nuts that have been spinning and had no issues. But this one is not spinning and I can't seem to get it to come loose. Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I heated mine up and hammered it out with a metal chisel.

:thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mk216vrick Forum Member

has the thread gone in the nut or the bolt? i have managed to get a bolt out before (not that one though) by jamming a flat head screwdriver between the bolt head the piece of metal whilst trying to undo the bolt, this puts pressure on the bolt and can get it to grip on a good thrread on the bolt.

good luck with this, i remember Richards issues and it became a good read! lol!

4. danster Forum Addict

[:s] Really? That sounds very simple but not quite how I remember it playing out. ;) :lol:

Epic Broken and Seized Bolt thread.

5. Admin Guest

Out of interest, what is the thread size and pitch on these bolts?

6. Cipher Forum Member

That does sound quite simple Richard! What did you heat it up with?

The thread has gone on the nut, so I'm thinking of retapping it unless I can get the nut off. I would prefer to get the nut off and tap it in a vice.

Just had a read through this! Interesting read and a good laugh!

I believe the bolt is a M10X24.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  7. m1keh Forum Member

Replace the nut Once the threads in a nut have been damaged a tap isn't going to sort it out properly and it's not like a new nut is going to cost much.....

8. Cipher Forum Member

I probably will, I'm sure I will have a spare nut and bolt sitting in the garage somewhere! Just need to work out how to get the nut off first. I will give a hammer and chisel a go. I may have to invest in a small blowtorch

9. Admin Guest

I thought the thread was m12 1.5 fine thread? Good luck with the repair, it's fairly straight forward once the nut is off.

10. Cipher Forum Member

Im not too sure. I'll get it sorted this weekend or early next week hopefully, need to find time! I will properly melt the wax and lubricate the area where the nut is. Im not too keen on tapping the nut just because I can't get it off. Drilling upside down isn't something that I want to do. Is the nut welded to the chassis?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no you dont have to replace that captive nut, you simply get underneath and drill thru the top of it, then retap. this is a vw approved repair :thumbup:
    shame you didnt ask or search before you cut a hole in your floor :(

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=193139

if you do remove the captive nut just buy a new one, vw part number is in the thread :)

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  12. erantomer Forum Member

will holding the captive nut in place with a socket then tightening the nut or replacing it with a regular nut be as strong as welding?

13. rubjonny

you can do it that way, but its a massive pain in the rear ;)

luckily you can slot a socket over the nut thru the hole in the footwell. but not only is it a pain to tighten/loosen, once the bolt is out you'll have a bit of a mission trying to get it to thread back on that nut

not to mention the captive not is just a round domed thing, it has no spanner flats. so smash a socket over it to undo, then drop a nut down the hole with fingers crossed to do it back up

14. erantomer Forum Member

so tightening with a regular nut will be just as strong as with the captive nut?

15. rubjonny

yes, the welds are only there to stop it spinning

16. Darren Smith Forum Member

ive got a problem the captive nut is turning with the bolt so has broken its welds im hoping that beneath the captive nut the metal is good an not rotted