Car Broken down in Angers, France - Mk2 GTi

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by topnotch, Aug 4, 2019.

1. topnotch Forum Member

Hi,

Got myself in a bit of pickle - we have travelled to France in my mk2 gti - it’s never failed me in 2 years, and fully serviced before we went, but half way into our trip, the power steering pump bit the bullet.

It looks like the seal between the pulley and the pump has gone and it’s chucking all the fluid out very quickly.

Anyway, breakdown company sorted a hire car and hotel for the night - they are also going to try and find a garage in the morning who can take a look.

We are 300 further miles south now at my wife’s parents house (this happened on Friday night) and have a ferry booked back on Monday 12th aug.

My biggest worry is that the breakdown company cannot find any garage to get the part and fix it within the week.

It’s a long shot but does anyone know of a good garage in the area of Angers? My wife is fluent french (even if i am not!), so language is not too much of an issue.

Unfortunately the breakdown cover does not cover repatriation to the uk

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers, Mike

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

To replace the pump would be not to difficult for any garage/mechanic .... on condition they get the parts
    If you are on facebook, then ask in a few French VW groups OR Mk2 groups … as it might be more chance to get some people from the area...
    who might be able to help with another pump or know someone to fix it

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

get one ordered from uk on 24hr delivery today and find your way to their equivalent of halfords for a tool kit and swap it yourself , imagine someone can even tell you just what tools are needed

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

5. topnotch Forum Member

Thanks guys - best option for me is that the garage can fix it - I’m going to ring Vw heritage and see how long they would take to get the parts delivered direct to a garage in angers.

Will wait to see if the breakdown can arrange the fix first though.

Other option would be for me to get the car recovered down to where I am and I fix it myself - done it plenty of times before , but I think the 600 mile round trip for the recovery might cost quite a bit!

It would only take me a couple of hours max to do the job so I’m hoping if they can get the parts, they can fit it in this week .

Waiting on the call from breakdown this morning..,

6. topnotch Forum Member

Its looking like they aren't going to be able to get a garage to look at it this week due to holiday etc :-(

But they have said they may be able to repatriate it now, but they need a valuation to make sure it is worth more than it costs to get it back. My insurance policy is standard car and not a classic policy so no agreed value on there or anything.

Is there anyway of getting a valuation from someone on here (i.e - a mod or something) that i can then forward to them by email? I have no photos of the car other than the one with it sat behind the low loader in france. Its a tornado red 91 mk2 gti 8v in pretty good condition prob worth around £4500-5000, but there is no way their market value of the car is going to meet that.

Obviously i don't mind paying for this or giving a donation to the forum etc

Thanks, Mike

7. topnotch Forum Member

Here it is - best pic i have sadly - my wife can't believe i have no more pics of it!

[​IMG]

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

whats involved bypassing it to make it non pas...drive it somewhere you can repair it

9. topnotch Forum Member

I could take the belt off, but I don’t think the rack will work with no fluid in there - not sure?

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

it would steer but just be v heavy....maybe an option rather than loose the car

11. topnotch Forum Member

It’s getting towed to a garage tomorrow now, but if they can’t fix it/get the parts in time, I’ll just whip the belt off and drive it back like that. It’s all straight motorway driving anyway and then I can fix it when I get home

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

13. topnotch Forum Member

Nice one - cheers

14. rickygolf83 Forum Member

Did this car get home or not?

15. topnotch Forum Member

Hiya - yes we did get it home

the breakdown company managed to find a garage who could fix it in time - we picked it up on the way back and the garage were really good actually but thank god my wife is fluent french as they didn’t speak English. They loved the car though

was £500 for a new pump fitted so that put a dent in the holiday unfortunately- but to be honest I was just glad to be able to drive it back!

I had LV Breakdown European cover which were pretty good to be honest - they paid for a hire car for week, sorted out and paid for a hotel for one night when we were stuck, arranged taxis to and from hotel and organised the garage and repairs (although I had to pay for that!) I think at a big push, they ‘may’ have repatriated it, maybe.

cheers, mike

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  16. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

expensive but in times like that, its worth it just to get going and get home

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.