Car stalling after its warm

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by 0337, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 0337 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all, I have a mk1 vw golf GTI, 1991 cabriolet. I seem to be having a problem with it as once it is warmed up and fan kicks in the car starts to struggle and cut out as if no fuel is getting to the engine side. It could be something else but when I give it gas it revs up no problem but as soon as I release the accelerator, it stalls, but starts up straight away no problem but still want to stall when ever I come to a stop at lights or a give way. Anybody have any ideas why it is doing this and what I can do for it to stop it ding this all the time.Thanks in advance

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Could be something simple like idle too slow, air leak, throttle body gunked up or CO too lean.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a read through this guide, ignore the fancy 16v stuff just check thru the kjet basics:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...air-and-tune-your-mk2-corrado-1-8-16v.195423/

can use the guide above for reference on the timing marks also, but for ignition timing this is set to 6 degrees BTDC with vacuum line to distributor disconnected and plugged. Can usually ad a bit more advance from there, 8 degrees is a good start point but it depends on engine health/tune how far you can go with it and what works best. CO is set while engine is hot and idling, about 1.5% maybe a bit more again depending on engine.

as above before messign with any settings check all the basics, air leaks, ignition & fuel system system health etc

4. 0337 Paid Member Paid Member

I know the co2 is quite high about 6.55, as I did take it to an mot centre and it showed up on the emmission tester as they were busy they couldn't set it but told me to come back and they sort it out for me (also needed a 3mm long allen key, had a 4mm for my Y reg) did check for leaks etc but none present. Will get CO adjusted and will get back to you all. Thanks for all your help.

5. 0337 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all, ok took it to the MOT centre and tried too adjust the Co2, but it would not go down to where it needs to be but stayed around 6 ish. Tried turning the allen key both ways it would drop to 6 then start to rise again. Any ideas why. Did check the exhaust for leaks there is a small leak just before the centre piece so need to seal it there first, but can I check for anything else whilst am there. Thanks

6. GVK

Have you checked the throttle body? If it's gunked up where the throttle plate is it will have high CO

Also did they remove the breather hose and plug it off when checking the CO?

7. 0337 Paid Member Paid Member

No they didn't remove any breathers, which breather should they have removed, and what is the best way to clean the throttle body, using carb cleaner?

8. GVK

Ideally remove throttle body for cleaning, use carb cleaner or gun wash/thinners

breather pipe that goes to the air box/metering unit.

9. 0337 Paid Member Paid Member

Where can I get a throttle body gasket from once I have took it apart?

10. rubjonny

11. 0337 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks rubjonny, would I need 1 or 2 gaskets?

12. rubjonny

just the one

13. 0337 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for all your helps guys again,